Thread: Heanal 26 pistol

Heanal 26 pistol

This sold for 1300 euros on egun.

http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=7265567

Seems like a lot, are the wood grip variants that rare?

Maybe they got it mixed up with the 27.

Matt.

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central
    That is just plain silly, and it of course does not mean that the person actually coughed up and paid that price. Strange anomalies can of course happen in any auction setting.
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    it of course does not mean that the person actually coughed up and paid that price.
    The buyer has pretty good feedback so surely there's an extremely high likelihood he will indeed have coughed up?

It wouldn't be the first time a German buyer has paid a very high price for a German-made vintage airgun. I sometimes think there are rather more of them here than there!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

It is in nice condition, I think £200 max here. Sold mine for £70 after refinishing it. I prefer the 26 to the 28, it is lighter and nicer to shoot and mine put out more fps.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Although an inferior model, the 26 is actually rarer than the 28, so when it comes to value it is a bit of swings and roundabouts sitiuation. Even so, the price achieved was well over the top, even for Germany, especially when you consider that a few weeks ago two Tell 3's sold on eGun for 755 and 888 euros.

The later bakelite grip Haenel 26 is much rarer than the wood grip model but is still nowhere near as valuable as a Tell 3.

I’ve had chances to buy a Haenel 26, held them at gunshows, just can’t compare them to the quality of a 28. Paint vs. bluing. Milled blued steel vs die-cast. Got 5 28’s and 28-R’s no 26’s. It is interesting the lack of supply of these old guns in their country of manufacture.
    Last edited by 45flint; 06-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Seems an outrageous price considering that the barrel is not even an original, but appears to be something that someone has cobbled together to fit.
    Barrel is too long, and doesn't have the appropriate breech block, nor the raised section for the front sight mounting area. Even the front sight is incorrect.
    Rear sight elevation screw is missing too.
    Someone is not going to be a very happy camper.
    Last edited by Leonardj; 06-01-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    Seems an outrageous price considering that the barrel is not even an original, but appears to be something that someone has cobbled together to fit.
    Barrel is too long, and doesn't have the appropriate breech block, nor the raised section for the front sight mounting area. Even the front sight is incorrect.

Well spotted Len! It certainly pays to go over these things with a fine toothcomb before parting with your money. Curious that someone has gone to all those lengths to fit an odd barrel when it is usually the monkey metal frame that goes first with these pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    No idea if it was a one off, a prototype or an attempt to mimic a 'Naval' Luger but aesthetically I rather like the idea of a longer barrel on these. Either way that seems a very expensive model 26. If it was an auction I guess more than one person was involved & they raised the price bid by bid..so what did they see that I cant?

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    No idea if it was a one off, a prototype or an attempt to mimic a 'Naval' Luger but aesthetically I rather like the idea of a longer barrel on these. Either way that seems a very expensive model 26. If it was an auction I guess more than one person was involved & they raised the price bid by bid..so what did they see that I cant?
    Seems there were 20 odd bidders, with about 6 all bidding in the final push.
    The seller just described it as working, not refinished and the grips being in very good condition.

Maybe they believed it to be a prototype, although it had production markings. Maybe no sn.?

I wonder if the bidders were under the impression it was a postwar East German version (not that there was one that I've ever heard of)? I think the front sight is a later Haenel one and there seems to be a lot of 'ostalgie' money around for East German goods! The buyer is in for a massive disappointment if Len is right.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Although I'm late here, but still want to give my mustard (as they say in Germany) I also watched this offer and found the same mistakes.
    In Germany, these pre war stuffs are quite rare, especially in the East. Remember that after the war it was an occupied land, nobody wanted to be hit with a weapon that looked so "real". Then maybe they shot and then called. From what was found was some as a personal war booty abroad. Many people got away so dangerous things from the neck by burying them or sank in the next lake. From my grandparents and other older people have I heard a lot of such stories.
    When Suhl started production again, they started with parts from before 1945. So it is known that the model 28 was also made in small numbers but was probably not put into circulation. I own a Mod49 stamped with "Schmeisser's patent."
    The reason for this bidding fight, I can not understand, but on prototypes and the same I do not believe.
    Was the supposedly lower quality of 26 compared to the 28 I represent one other opinion. Both models were produced with the same care and technology, both frames are cast and milled. Only there should be a light and a heavy pistol. So you are also advertised in the catalogs of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Suhl View Post
    Was the supposedly lower quality of 26 compared to the 28 I represent one other opinion. Both models were produced with the same care and technology, both frames are cast and milled. Only there should be a light and a heavy pistol. So you are also advertised in the catalogs of that time.
    Hi Suhl, Good to have input on the forum from Germany.

I think that when people say that the Haenel 26 is of lower quality than the Haenel 28, they are referring to the quality of the materials used rather than the quality of workmanship. Both are well made and shoot well and shoot reliably. However, the 26 is made largely of zinc alloy which is prone to crack after time, whereas the 28 is solid steel and will last forever. This difference in quality is reflected in their contemporary retail prices, and for example in the 1937 Geco catalogue the Haenel 26 is priced at 16 Reichmarks, about 30% cheaper than the 28 at 22 Reichmarks.