Thread: Pre-War BSA range markings as fitted to rear sights

Pre-War BSA range markings as fitted to rear sights

I was shooting one of my pre-war BSA Standards this afternoon, given the still conditions.

Those with such rifles (which might apply to the other pre-war BSA models too) will have noticed the range markings on the side of the rear sight. There are differing elevations, starting with 10yds, the sights then progressing to notches for 15yds, 25yds and 50 yds.

I am just wondering if anyone finds these markings of assistance and uses them?

Given the sight line and the trajectory of the pellet, I find the markings rather odd. Thus, at approx. 10 yds, the sight is much the same as it would be at around 25-30 yds. Between 15 and 20 yds, however, the sight would have to be lowered rather than raised even although the notch provides for the sight to be raised. Actually, one can simply aim a little below target.

Any views, anyone?!

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I was shooting one of my pre-war BSA Standards this afternoon, given the still conditions.

Those with such rifles (which might apply to the other pre-war BSA models too) will have noticed the range markings on the side of the rear sight. There are differing elevations, starting with 10yds, the sights then progressing to notches for 15yds, 25yds and 50 yds.

I am just wondering if anyone finds these markings of assistance and uses them?

Given the sight line and the trajectory of the pellet, I find the markings rather odd. Thus, at approx. 10 yds, the sight is much the same as it would be at around 25-30 yds. Between 15 and 20 yds, however, the sight would have to be lowered rather than raised even although the notch provides for the sight to be raised. Actually, one can simply aim a little below target.

Any views, anyone?!

Rgds
    A
    Hi Andrew,

Given the various stages of wear of individual rifles, replacement parts such as springs and the more consistent pellets available today, not to mention the choice of pellet types, the markings are of no real assistance. ...And then there is the subject of individual hold, position and shooting style.

Most BSAs send to shoot to point of aim when I have the back sight set at its lowest point.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Given the various stages of wear of individual rifles, replacement parts such as springs and the more consistent pellets available today, not to mention the choice of pellet types, the markings are of no real assistance. ...And then there is the subject of individual hold, position and shooting style.

Most BSAs send to shoot to point of aim when I have the back sight set at its lowest point.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks John and that seems to be my view too. Happily, both Standards seem to be in good working order and are performing at over 11ft/lbs but the type of pellet makes a big difference. Old Ely Wasp appear to have a point of impact nearly an inch below 'Defiant Vintage', for example, on one of my Standards, at 25 yds. I am going to carry out more pellet tests to see which is most accurate but I am finding that what suits one Standard does not necessarily suit the other (both .22).

To make use of the markings, one would have to settle for a particular pellet and make use of it.

Yes, I think individual hold, position and shooting style are also factors that are sensitive to these rifles.

Like you, I find that the lowest possible position of the rear sight is just about the best position for short ranges.

However, the pellet rises at 15-20yds before falling to hit the bull at 25-30yds, assuming no movement in the sights. This is part of the trajectory of the pellet, combined with the sight line (this is accentuated with a telescopic sight on any rifle, owing to the bigger gap of the mounts above the barrel). That caused me to raise an eyebrow; BSA should surely have had a notch at, say, 15yds such that the rear sight is lowered rather than elevated at this distance.

I wonder if most people simply use holdover for longer distances without moving the rear sights. This is more difficult with open sights and much simpler with telescopic sights, especially those with dots on the verticals.

Rgds
    A

Thanks John and that seems to be my view too. Happily, both Standards seem to be in good working order and are performing at over 11ft/lbs but the type of pellet makes a big difference. Old Ely Wasp appear to have a point of impact nearly an inch below 'Defiant Vintage', for example, on one of my Standards, at 25 yds. I am going to carry out more pellet tests to see which is most accurate but I am finding that what suits one Standard does not necessarily suit the other (both .22).

To make use of the markings, one would have to settle for a particular pellet and make use of it.

Yes, I think individual hold, position and shooting style are also factors that are sensitive to these rifles.

Like you, I find that the lowest possible position of the rear sight is just about the best position for short ranges.

However, the pellet rises at 15-20yds before falling to hit the bull at 25-30yds, assuming no movement in the sights. This is part of the trajectory of the pellet, combined with the sight line (this is accentuated with a telescopic sight on any rifle, owing to the bigger gap of the mounts above the barrel). That caused me to raise an eyebrow; BSA should surely have had a notch at, say, 15yds such that the rear sight is lowered rather than elevated at this distance.

I wonder if most people simply use holdover for longer distances without moving the rear sights. This is more difficult with open sights and much simpler with telescopic sights, especially those with dots on the verticals.

Rgds
    A
    Hi Andrew,

Sad as I am, I tend to aim off for the longer shots at vintage HFT comps. I even went to the trouble of making up a range card to remind me of my various aimpoints at the varying ranges we use at Bisley. Then there are the long range aimpoints for the Quigley and Bonehill Challenge...

Incidentally, you would be very welcome to come along and shoot as a guest at the next one we hold.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Sad as I am, I tend to aim off for the longer shots at vintage HFT comps. I even went to the trouble of making up a range card to remind me of my various aimpoints at the varying ranges we use at Bisley. Then there are the long range aimpoints for the Quigley and Bonehill Challenge...

Incidentally, you would be very welcome to come along and shoot as a guest at the next one we hold.

Kind regards,

John
    I would be interested in attending such an event. I have shot often at Bisley, on the long ranges with 7.62s and .303s, etc, and have fond memories. However, HFT would be a new experience for me.

Could you very kindly let me have details of competitions, ranges and, not least the dates of such events? What categories are there and what are the ages of the rifles to qualify? Presumably, only open sights are permitted.

Best
    A

I would be interested in attending such an event. I have shot often at Bisley, on the long ranges with 7.62s and .303s, etc, and have fond memories. However, HFT would be a new experience for me.

Could you very kindly let me have details of competitions, ranges and, not least the dates of such events? What categories are there and what are the ages of the rifles to qualify? Presumably, only open sights are permitted.

Best
    A
    Hi Andrew,

These are invitation shoots for non Bisley members but the club has always been kind enough to allow me to extend an invitation to BBS members in the past. Many collectors from this forum have attended and enjoyed themselves in the past.

Not sure of when the next one will be held but I'll post a link on here when a date has been set. Usually, the criteria are pre 1939 open / peep sights on recoiling springers.

Kind regards,

John

Most kind of you John. In case I do not see it, could you send me a PM, as I do not visit this site daily and sometimes not even weekly

On another and unrelated matter, I happened to be looking at Airgun Collector - https://airgunwarriors.com/resources...e_Issue_02.pdf - and noted on page 33, in an article you wrote, a reference to the Field magazine's article of 5th Nov 1932, on the Webley Service Air Rifle. I recall, somewhere on the internet, reading the original piece from the Field and it might have been as a result of a reference somewhere or other, perhaps on this site. Do you have that original article? Is there a link somewhere? It might have been on the Vintage BSA website. It provided a most interesting insight about shooting this rifle and its quirks. I should have kept it.

Best
    A

Most kind of you John. In case I do not see it, could you send me a PM, as I do not visit this site daily and sometimes not even weekly

On another and unrelated matter, I happened to be looking at Airgun Collector - https://airgunwarriors.com/resources...e_Issue_02.pdf - and noted on page 33, in an article you wrote, a reference to the Field magazine's article of 5th Nov 1932, on the Webley Service Air Rifle. I recall, somewhere on the internet, reading the original piece from the Field and it might have been as a result of a reference somewhere or other, perhaps on this site. Do you have that original article? Is there a link somewhere? It might have been on the Vintage BSA website. It provided a most interesting insight about shooting this rifle and its quirks. I should have kept it.

Best
    A
    Hi Andrew,

As per PM, there should be a copy of the Field review in Troubledshooter's excellent signature sight - I think under Webley catalogues.

Kind regards,

John

Thanks for your response John, along with the PM.

I found what I was looking for. It appeared here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ated-articles/

It was, in fact, an article by AG Banks on air rifle shooting, dated 1940 and it was most informative. I had mistakenly believed that I had read it elsewhere, probably in the Field, although it is possible AG Banks produced his article elsewhere, too, with variations.

Rgds
    A