Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Short-Stroked HW85 Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    No disrespect inferred at all. I corrected him recently on a minor point (hopefully respectfully) and he quickly posted to say, in effect, yup, you are right, I have checked, I was wrong. A lot of people would not do that.

Beyond his pure airgun stuff, the saga of his relationship with, and deeply sad loss of, his wife Edith, is tear-jerking. We need more like him.
    Amen to that, Geez.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Re handling, many of the best handling springers, as in nice, neutral, natural feeling and "handy" as walk-about field guns, wore the Piled Arms logo. Just my opinion, of course, and entirely subjective. That's one of the reasons I think it's a massive shame that they seem reluctant to improve the Lightning into the rifle it deserves to be.
    Hang on, have I entered a parallel universe or something, am I reading that correctly

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hang on, have I entered a parallel universe or something, am I reading that correctly

Pete
    Nope, not mis-reading this at all, Pete, and I've believed and said this many times.

But I refer to handling and graceful looks and not to engineering quality, outright accuracy and performance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    That's ma Gay Cowboy Gun. A Rootin', Tootin' Six shooter y'all. Yeehaw!

(AKA Sumatra Stinger Carbine)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ahh, it's one of those....... Broke back mountain 😱
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    According to the “Blue Book” (in both the entries for Beeman R1 and R10 and for HW80/85) the 85 is actually about half an inch or so longer than the 80. Assuming the barrels are the same and the stocks have the same LOP, that suggests the 85 cylinder may actually be a fraction longer.

Tom very rarely gets stuff wrong. When he does, he has the appealing characteristic of acknowledging it and saying so.
    now i was told years ago the 85 was really a less powerful beast in fac than the 80. its a cut down 80 so to speak. the 80 was supposed to be the most powerful springer in the hw range.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Although this may not go down well with the old '85 fans, although I love most HWs I've never had that burning urge to get one. Maybe it stems down to many reports "back in the day" of the piston cut-out (to relieve the scope ramp) gouging the cylinder. Not sure if those reports were entirely founded.

However, contrary to many of the "purists", I just had to have the 95 when it first came out and still love them to bits, trigger block and all.

Re handling, many of the best handling springers, as in nice, neutral, natural feeling and "handy" as walk-about field guns, wore the Piled Arms logo. Just my opinion, of course, and entirely subjective. That's one of the reasons I think it's a massive shame that they seem reluctant to improve the Lightning into the rifle it deserves to be.

When it comes to static shooting I've always much preferred a heavier, chunkier platform.

Those early 77Ks, I feel, have a very special and unique feel. Stumpy, chunky, hand filling stock, lovely and wieldy yet with that weight to keep the firing cycle so benign. Lovely rifles.
    soon as i hear you going off about hw's like this tony i can only think you are getting rather aroused the other end

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    soon as i hear you going off about hw's like this tony i can only think you are getting rather aroused the other end
    You know me too well!

I mean, er, no, no, you don't know me. Not one bit!

Oh bugger; rumbled!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!