Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with MK1 Airsporter and possible Lincoln Jefferies?

Cant say much on the airsporter but the other rifle is a First batch of BSA Air rifles (Lincoln Jeffries pat) from 1905.

Might just be my eyes but looks like it was painted or some weird bluing done to it in the past. It has also had some dodgy repair on the loading tap. The problem with these older ones is that while, yes Protek and knibbs sell spares, these older versions had a adjustment on the tap and I dont think protek or knibbs sell the correct loading tap for this model. So sourcing the correct part might be a hassle.

You are also missing the rear sight spring and wheel but these can be easily bought. Front sight bead has been broken but this is common and a front sight is easy to find.

Wood looks good so thats a plus.

Now as a valuation for the BSA/LJ. I would say around £80.

Some might think this is too much, others too little so ill give my reasons:

The condition cosmetically is poor. The finish really looks to me like it has been painted or something. Just does not look right. Though this can be easily stripped down so not a major issue.
    The main spring looks slightly corroded so the internals would need a good look at. Though these were built like tanks so I would think a clean and reseal is all she needs.
    The loading tap is a major issue to me. I am not 100 % sure but I dont recall either Protek or Knibbs selling the correct loading tap for these rifles, from what I remember, they sell the later ones that do not have an adjustment screw on the side. So getting the correct type might be a pain.

The earliest BSA/LJ rifle I have seen sell was at auction last year and it was number 300 and sold for £220 plus fees (so lets say around £260, cant remember what the commission was). And that one was in very good condition.

So as it sits, £80 ish. Spend some time fixing it up (strip the finish, replace missing/broken parts and check internals) I would possibly say double that (£160).

Again, just my thoughts. And remember, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, so find some desperate bugger with deep pockets.

Hello.

I am not sure that this rifle would have had the knurled Breech compensating screw. I think far more likely, it would have had the large washer, large headed screw with a tiny locking screw. See here

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....fle/#post-1794

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hello.

I am not sure that this rifle would have had the knurled Breech compensating screw. I think far more likely, it would have had the large washer, large headed screw with a tiny locking screw. See here

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....fle/#post-1794
    I agree. The knurled screw came a little later.

John

Personally, I don't buy guns thinking about what they would be worth if I sold them on, I buy what I like, even if they need some work and I know in my heart of hearts it won't be worth it. I collect for the enjoyment they bring me.

Given that the LJ is over a 100 years old it looks pretty complete, looks like you need a breech plug plate, breech plug screw and keeper screw, £40 of bits maybe a piston seal assembly £15.

To resurrect a century old gun that I agree with John might make £200, but why worry about it, keep it, cherish it and enjoy it.

The airsporter isn't my area but it looks in ok condition to me not mint but there are definitely worse out there.

Hi folks the airs porter has quite a lot of surface rust and some pitting. Would be interested in suggestions around tidying it up. In the past I have used fine wire wool. What do other people use?

Regards

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by colbymog View Post
    Hi folks the airs porter has quite a lot of surface rust and some pitting. Would be interested in suggestions around tidying it up. In the past I have used fine wire wool. What do other people use?

Regards

Andy
    Fine wire wool (0000 grade) and gun oil works for me.