Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with MK1 Airsporter and possible Lincoln Jefferies?

Help with MK1 Airsporter and possible Lincoln Jefferies?

Dear All,

Any help with the value and identity of these two rifles would be appreciated. First one is a Mark 1 Airsporter in not very good condition. It appears to be original and it fires. The finish is quite nasty and it has a few rust spots. It also has a crack in the stock. Not sure if this one is worth the effort to restore.

The second one is a Lincoln Jeffries (I think). Some help on identity and value would be appreciated. The tap on this one has been lovingly restored with a wood screw. I think it should have a knurled wheel and spring to hold the tap in? I can make the bits that are missing once I understand what should be there.

I have been offered both of these rifles and need to decide if they are for me. Not an expert on either, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don’t want to take advantage of the seller and he has no idea what to charge.

https://imgur.com/a/mkx0Yap

https://imgur.com/a/hPedWfc

If I was offered them for £100 the pair (more if the AS is .177) I would buy em and would be just as happy to leave em for the next man, if they were a penny more...

Hello,

Both are in pretty poor condition and consequently should be considered as ‘Project Guns’ with the Airsporter being the least desirable of the two. The second rifle is an LJ/BSA gun as you suspected and judging by the shape of the loading lever end, quite an early example. If you can provide the Ser No for this rifle it can be quite accurately dated.
    As to price, if I was looking for a project, I would estimate £30-£40 for the Airsporter and a little more possibly £40-£60 for the LJ/BSA.
    Hope this helps.

Brian

The Airsporter appears to be a 1948-54 G series, the most desirable, and looks like it would clean up okay. Still has etching and original finish.

The BSA looks like a very early 1905 as it appears to have the long tang trigger guard. Has parts missing, which would be difficult to source, but worth saving as it looks like a very early example?

Certainly the pair worth £100, which gives you some room for spare bits.

Thanks for the information gents.

The BSA/Lincoln Jefferies appears to have a serial number of 1680.

Does anyone know the thread form/type for the loading tap and the rear sight adjuster on these?

Warm Regards

Andy

Don't know the threading, it seems to be said that BSA used their own threading for these guns,

you can buy parts from, but it depends on what damage that wood screw may have done to the tap.

Protek

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/bsa-...jor-parts.html

or

Knibbs

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...ln%2BJeffries/

Quote Originally Posted by colbymog View Post

Does anyone know the thread form/type for the loading tap and the rear sight adjuster on these?

Warm Regards

Andy
    Hello Andy,

No idea of the thread form / type, but you could enquire at John Knibbs International who stock spares for these vintage BSAs if nobody comes on here to answer your question.

The John Knibbs reference book dates Ser No 1680 to Sept - Dec 1905, so a very early example.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by colbymog View Post

Warm Regards

Andy
    Information on BS threads here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....qs-2/#post-496
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

colbymog

colbymog, please empty your in box

Vernal have just done so.

LJ parts

PM om its way

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Just my pennys worth on the value. l would be happy to pay £140 for the 2 even as projects. and enjoy trying to improve them.

Mk1

I cannot give any valuations as I am located in Holland. But the MK1 is perhaps in higher regard by us across the pond than in Albion; I am amazed how I see valuations here I would call 'hesitant'. Mind, I have no insight how the local market is, but I do see a first batch Airsporter with original blueing. Whatever issues it might have, it looks 10 times better than mine that even so I will not part with if only for what it represents - next to a nice restoration project. Is it that the market has become divided into a small section of pristine / mint examples, and an increasing pool of users that drop in value? Mike.

Do you have to buy them together? If so and you only want the one I am sure one of us would take the other off your hands at cost plus post. I know I would.
    Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Must admit, the suggested values seem somewhat low. Just imagine seeing either of these two rifles in a gun shop or fair environment.

If the LJ works and fitted with a repaired tap screw, I bet it would be priced at over £200.

As Slug Gun says, the Airsporter still has its etching and ought to clean up, so for a private sale, I'd value the Airsporter at around £70 - £80 and the LJ at £140, bearing in mind it will need the tap sorting.

Good luck!

John