Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is buying guns so addictive?

Why is buying guns so addictive?

I’ve have recently (in the last 12 months) got into shooting. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but having made false assumptions about UK gun law, I had no idea until recently how accessible the world of airguns is! It’s something I do with my 12 year old son and it’s lead to some really quality father and son time!

However, since joining a club and purchasing my first rifle I have found that, increasingly, I want to buy more and more. I’m now up to 8 rifles and 10 pistols in less than 12 months (small by comparison to some on here) and I’m wondering whether that compulsive need to scratch the new gun itch ever goes away?! I have serious bits of kit and toys but there’s so much choice out there and so many well made guns that almost every time I go online I’m trawling through RFD websites and secondhand trading sites to add to the collection. It’s storage rather than money that’s becoming the issue.

Do I need help or is this quite common amongst the newly initiated?!
    It is better to be thought dumb and keep one's mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt......

Yes. You need help (like most of us do).

However, there is no help / counselling / therapy available for this addiction. I believe this is quite common but resistance is futile!

As you stated, there is such a choice from fun and quirky airguns up to serious pieces of kit and sometimes temptation does make us make impulse buys.
    However, its a great hobby. We can buy and sell our collections as time goes on to improve what we have or just if we fancy a change. Tuning and improving is another great aspect of our world.
    Getting our kids involved is also a nice part of it too.

Storage can be a problem but remember that thinning out family members is always an option to provide extra space that shouldn't be overlooked.

Especially when (not naming names), she says "you do NOT need another airgun"!!
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

Acquiring another airgun often starts by the urge to change your present gun for another. It's when you try to sell your present gun and realise what you paid is nowhere near of what others want to pay that is when you become a 'collector'. All said, it's proberly a desease we suffer from !

I knew I wasn’t alone! Thanks for the reassuring replies! I’ve already earmarked my daughter’s room as the armoury, she’ll be off to Uni soon.

I sold a Sig Sauer x-Five as I just couldn’t get on with it, other than that everything I’ve bought so far I wouldn’t want to part with!
    It is better to be thought dumb and keep one's mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt......

You have to learn to say 'No!'
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    You have to learn to say 'No!'
    Says the man with how many guns ?

Is that to the wife or to the collection?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Wecome to the world of airguns. airgun collecting is a desease very few escape from, and they usualy catch it again. but l can think of worse ones to catch. enjoy your shooting with your son l know l did.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes it can get addictive but it can also be frustrating, a lot of members on here seem to collect HW's or BSA's which there seems to be a lot of about, so not so difficult to obtain certain models, the problem arises when you want a particular make or model which they only made in small quantities in the first place, that's when you get obsessed with perusing every site on the internet hoping to find the rifle you're after.

The problem we have around our area (I live near Southampton as well) is the lack of decent gun shops with lashings of secondhand air rifles, the only good place being Protek which have decent choice but not always what you want but they are still 40 miles away.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My name is Tony.

I am an addict.

And loving every minute of it!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I'm on the slippery slope I must admit.

I'm gaining a real appreciation for the older guns , especially 10 m target rifles.

I have banned myself from buying more and really should move some on. I wonder how well that plan will pan out?!?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I have banned myself from buying more and really should move some on. I wonder how well that plan will pan out?!?
    What are you looking to sell, I may be interested!

Nine days into the New Year and I've already bought two guns.

I could say No but prefer Why Not?

Quote Originally Posted by WinerackHWModel View Post
    What are you looking to sell, I may be interested!
    In one post you have set me on a weekends worth of wondering, distraction and pain trying to think of something to let go. I bet I forget to take the kids to football now!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

welcome to the AA equivalent of the airgun world. just admit you are an addict,sit down in a councilling session with us all. will not serve no purpose is stopping the addiction but at least you know you are not alone