Thread: Results : Muscle Power League 2019, Spring/Summerr Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I borrowed the rear sight off of my Walther LG400 Anatomic to use on my HW99S as I don't have anything else "spare" that will fit this rifle at the moment, and although it is a very good diopter sight (a superb sight actually), the recoil shock of the springer keeps bouncing it backward along the mounting rails as it has no facility to mount an arrestor screw to stop it shifting.

As I don't want to risk damaging this sight I have put it back onto my match rifle and I used my Walther LGM-2 SSP rifle for the first round of this Spring/Summer MPL rifle competition.

This is a lovely "junior" sized classic SSP rifle that is great to shoot, and with a younger (and better) shooter holding it, I am sure that it would probably be capable of some amazingly good scores at 6 yards (and 10 meters).

However, I will be returning to shooting my HW99S as soon as I can find a suitable diopter (with arrestor screw). I do have a really nice "left handed" Anschutz diopter fitted to my HW30S that I could remove and fit, but it is a really tight fit on the rifle and makes me sweat every time a have to"drift" it off, and despite the small size of the HW30S giving me problems with fitting it to my old and knackered frame it shoots absolutely superbly and I am reluctant to disturb it!

So, I am on the hunt for a similar old Anschultz diopter (or similar) to fit onto my HW99S and meanwhile I will use the excuse to exercise a couple of my other MPL air rifles until I find something suitable to fit it.
    Last edited by zooma; 01-02-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have my 99 with the Williams sight i got off you tuned in at 6yds, but would like to shoot at 10m as well, guess i need another rifle then....

Bob,

I use the Gehmann 590 sights on a few of my rifles (HW30S, HW99S, & HW95 SuperMatch).

https://gehmann.com/english/products...2&kategorie=22

The clamping on the 590's is designed for rimfires/PCPs, so is not as 'fierce' as is needed on a 'full-power' springer

I have drilled and tapped the mount body of these sights, to take an M3 bolt to engage in the arrestor holes in the HWs cylinders - works very nicely

The issue with the 'fully milled' Anschutz 6xxx sights, is that the base is split lengthways, so is very difficult to fit an arrestor bolt.

( However, I have an Anschutz 6502 'fully-milled' on my Anschutz 335 Mk2, and so far, touch wood, it has not moved/slipped yet.)

The 'cast' Anschutz sights (e.g. on late model Webley Mk3 SuperTargets) do have a facility for use of an arrestor bolt.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

I use the Gehmann 590 sights on a few of my rifles (HW30S, HW99S, & HW95 SuperMatch).

https://gehmann.com/english/products...2&kategorie=22

The clamping on the 590's is designed for rimfires/PCPs, so is not as 'fierce' as is needed on a 'full-power' springer

I have drilled and tapped the mount body of these sights, to take an M3 bolt to engage in the arrestor holes in the HWs cylinders - works very nicely

The issue with the 'fully milled' Anschutz 6xxx sights, is that the base is split lengthways, so is very difficult to fit an arrestor bolt.

( However, I have an Anschutz 6502 'fully-milled' on my Anschutz 335 Mk2, and so far, touch wood, it has not moved/slipped yet.)

The 'cast' Anschutz sights (e.g. on late model Webley Mk3 SuperTargets) do have a facility for use of an arrestor bolt.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks for the info Russ.

The Anschutz sight that I have on my HW30S is a really tight fit and has simply never budged during use.

It is such a tight fit that I have to "encourage it" to slide along the cylinder dovetails to get it into position, and taking it off again needs the same process in reverse!

I was given this "left handed" sight by Robin Carter some years ago and have always enjoyed using it. The "left handed" bit only means that the windage adjusting knob is on the left hand side rather than being mounted on the regular right hand side, and to be honest in use it makes no difference to me whatsoever - but if it was mounted on a rifle used for prone shooting then it probably would be a bit less helpful as I am right handed!

Funnily enough I have another rear sight on my Walther LGM-2 that also has the windage knob mounted on the left hand side - it is a "Swiss Made Elite 201". This is a lovely looking rear sight that I really like and it suites the LGM-2 a treat, but I have only ever seen one other and that also had the windage adjustor on the left hand side so maybe that's the way they were made?

The Gehmann 590 is a really good well made sight that I use on my Walther LG300XT ProTouch and it would be nice to fit one to my HW99S and tap the body as you suggest to fit a grub screw to use as the "arrester".

Interestingly enough I see that you can also order a left handed Gehmann 590 (see the link below) but it costs an extra £15 to have the windage knob mounted on the left hand side!

https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo....htmlAvailable here
    Last edited by zooma; 02-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Bob,

Indeed - one of my Anschutz 6702s had to be modified to fit on my TX200 (the TXs dovetails are slightly too wide for the sight). About 1mm had to be milled off the bottom of the 6702s mount.

As an aside, the dovetails on my FWB602 are too wide to fit the 6702 sights at all.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20190203

For a real challenge, I used my 0.177" Hatsan 55 for February's MPL Rilfe round.

A 340 g piston (at ca. 10 ft.lb) sure makes shooting interesting !!

The 55s Quattro trigger was surprsingly effective for target use.

The pull was very crisp, but not particularly light - ca. 3 to 4 lb.

If any of you have a Hatty, dig it out and use it in the MPL

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Funnily enough Russ, I have been looking at buying a Hatsun - I really like the look of the Dominator.

There was a nice looking example for sale here on the BBS recently but it was about the time that the snow came along a bit sooner than expected and I was in the middle of getting my roof finished (and weather proofed) at the time so I was a way from the BBS for a few days and lost touch.

Having said that, it may not have made a very good MPL rifle in any case, and of course I would have had the problem of finding or making a suitable front sight mount - but it does look good and "chunky" and the adjustable cheek piece is another nice touch!

I was contemplating reducing the power and adding some suitable sights - maybe it was just as well that I missed it as it may not have enjoyed having its power reduced still further as I understand that the Hatsun Dominator was intended ( and is better suited) to more power - and not less power!

Nice to see you still entering the MPL with different "kickers" though - have you thought about trying the supported air rifle shooting with a kicker?

They work surprisingly well - my HW99S was surprisingly good !