Thread: Tee-Hee!

Tee-Hee!

Finally got around to working on my "Senior" today - so easy to work on.
    Polished every contacting surface, PTFE washers at both ends of the spring, a smear of moly here and there, new leaf spring for the trigger and a new (synthetic) breech seal.
    It might not be true to the original in some areas, but the trigger is sooooo much better and it punches Superdomes through both sides of a bean can.
    Now that's more like it!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Finally got around to working on my "Senior" today - so easy to work on.
    Polished every contacting surface, PTFE washers at both ends of the spring, a smear of moly here and there, new leaf spring for the trigger and a new (synthetic) breech seal.
    It might not be true to the original in some areas, but the trigger is sooooo much better and it punches Superdomes through both sides of a bean can.
    Now that's more like it!
    Is it still sporting the phosphor bronze piston ring?

Indeed, and in very good condition too...

I love the smell of a freshly oiled Senior discharging!

Incidentally, the late great Gerald Cardew once made me a few experimental PTFE piston rings for my Webley Service and the only one I used is still going strong after all these years. The action is incredibly smooth and the rifle the most consistent/accurate Service I have owned.

John

I have read somewhere that Senior's put out more power and are smoother if the bronze piston ring is replaced with an O ring.

If PTFE works well in the Service then it would,too in the Senior,something I will try.After all,a phosphor bronze piston ring was just a bad idea by Webley IMO.
    Last edited by mrto; 13-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I have read somewhere that Senior's put out more power and are smoother if the bronze piston ring is replaced with an O ring.

If PTFE works well in the Service then it would,too in the Senior,something I will try.After all,a phosphor bronze piston ring was just a bad idea by Webley IMO.
    The 'ring' needs to be flat rather than an O ring, which would not sit flush. I have a vague recollection that Gerald also made me some PTFE rings for a Senior but they did not perform as well as the original. This would have been during the early 90s.

Kind regards,

John

It was very temping to 'tidy up' the edges of the ring, as it really is a good/tight fit in the cylinder, but decided to clean and re-oil.
    I am sure it will bed-in/wear out in its own good time; after all, it is only sixty-odd years old...
    Last edited by Modski66; 13-01-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The 'ring' needs to be flat rather than an O ring, which would not sit flush. I have a vague recollection that Gerald also made me some PTFE rings for a Senior but they did not perform as well as the original. This would have been during the early 90s.

Kind regards,

John
    Hmm!Maybe the person in question had done some machining of the piston to better accommodate the O ring,not something I would want to do.

ATB.

I had a couple of Service Mk2s in the mid-80s and one of them had standard piston and bronze ring and also another piston with 'O' ring. The latter was subjectively much nicer and smoother to shoot (but that was before I started hanging instrumentation on them!). Never had a Senior though although did buy a Premier a while ago for nostalgic reasons.

All but stuff though isn't it!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!