Thread: Tee-Hee!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tee-Hee!

Finally got around to working on my "Senior" today - so easy to work on.
    Polished every contacting surface, PTFE washers at both ends of the spring, a smear of moly here and there, new leaf spring for the trigger and a new (synthetic) breech seal.
    It might not be true to the original in some areas, but the trigger is sooooo much better and it punches Superdomes through both sides of a bean can.
    Now that's more like it!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Finally got around to working on my "Senior" today - so easy to work on.
    Polished every contacting surface, PTFE washers at both ends of the spring, a smear of moly here and there, new leaf spring for the trigger and a new (synthetic) breech seal.
    It might not be true to the original in some areas, but the trigger is sooooo much better and it punches Superdomes through both sides of a bean can.
    Now that's more like it!
    Is it still sporting the phosphor bronze piston ring?

Indeed, and in very good condition too...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I love the smell of a freshly oiled Senior discharging!

Incidentally, the late great Gerald Cardew once made me a few experimental PTFE piston rings for my Webley Service and the only one I used is still going strong after all these years. The action is incredibly smooth and the rifle the most consistent/accurate Service I have owned.

John

I have read somewhere that Senior's put out more power and are smoother if the bronze piston ring is replaced with an O ring.

If PTFE works well in the Service then it would,too in the Senior,something I will try.After all,a phosphor bronze piston ring was just a bad idea by Webley IMO.
    Last edited by mrto; 13-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I have read somewhere that Senior's put out more power and are smoother if the bronze piston ring is replaced with an O ring.

If PTFE works well in the Service then it would,too in the Senior,something I will try.After all,a phosphor bronze piston ring was just a bad idea by Webley IMO.
    The 'ring' needs to be flat rather than an O ring, which would not sit flush. I have a vague recollection that Gerald also made me some PTFE rings for a Senior but they did not perform as well as the original. This would have been during the early 90s.

Kind regards,

John