Thread: Smooth twists?

Smooth twists?

What’s the current state of affairs with smooth twist and smooth twist x barrels in .177 sub 12ftlbs?

Iirc initial tests weren’t encouraging with poor grouping at range?

Does anyone have any real world experience of more recent testing or know if fx have addressed the issue (assuming it was actually an issue)

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    What’s the current state of affairs with smooth twist and smooth twist x barrels in .177 sub 12ftlbs?

Iirc initial tests weren’t encouraging with poor grouping at range?

Does anyone have any real world experience of more recent testing or know if fx have addressed the issue (assuming it was actually an issue)
    Oooh
    hang on .

Aren't the slower ( >20ish :1 )twist rate barrels now being talked about as better at long range than faster (<20ish :1 )

There was an idea that the smooth twists were happier at power levels above what we are allowed without fac

I've have a FX Bobcat with smooth twist . 22 and I can honestly say that it's spot on with many different pellets. The hype about smooth twist barrels not being pellet fussy was actually right. Fine tuneing on many pellets was on the elevation turret of the scope, either up or down.

I have an ACZ / FX Streamline in .177 with the STX full length smooth twist barrel, it has a 1:16 twist, but can be ordered with 1:18, 1:20 or 1:22.

In brief, I have found it is just as pellet fussy as anything else I have shot / owned (and that's a lot of rifles), it takes just as much wind as many other rifles, better then most, but no better than my best rifles, it likes larger diameter pellets so I use mainly H&N's, it needs a better single shot tray, I got mine from SMW Engineering, it was cheap as chips and is far superior to the factory 'thing'. The barrel does not like to be cleaned and if you do clean it do not Not NOT use a pull through, I really thought I had done some sort of damage to the barrel but it eventually came good again.

It is accurate, very accurate and I am about to start using it for 25m outdoor bench rest, but the amount of work and cost involved in finding the right pellets (and I'm not certain I have, yet) was no less than I have spent on other rifles and the gains, given the cost of the rifle, we minimal or even non existent.

It's a well made accurate rifle with a reasonable trigger (better than the TM1000, far better than the HFT500 / S400), but it is no leap forward, just something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    I have an ACZ / FX Streamline in .177 with the STX full length smooth twist barrel, it has a 1:16 twist, but can be ordered with 1:18, 1:20 or 1:22.

In brief, I have found it is just as pellet fussy as anything else I have shot / owned (and that's a lot of rifles), it takes just as much wind as many other rifles, better then most, but no better than my best rifles, it likes larger diameter pellets so I use mainly H&N's, it needs a better single shot tray, I got mine from SMW Engineering, it was cheap as chips and is far superior to the factory 'thing'. The barrel does not like to be cleaned and if you do clean it do not Not NOT use a pull through, I really thought I had done some sort of damage to the barrel but it eventually came good again.

It is accurate, very accurate and I am about to start using it for 25m outdoor bench rest, but the amount of work and cost involved in finding the right pellets (and I'm not certain I have, yet) was no less than I have spent on other rifles and the gains, given the cost of the rifle, we minimal or even non existent.

It's a well made accurate rifle with a reasonable trigger (better than the TM1000, far better than the HFT500 / S400), but it is no leap forward, just something a little different.
    Many thanks for the comprehensive response, Neil.

So perhaps the x barrels are performing better in sub 12 than the original smooth twist.

I’ve been resisting scratching a smooth twist itch because of the bad grouping anecdotal evidence but maybe it’s time to look again at the x version.

The latest FX IMPACT has the new reg design which seems to work much better at 12FPE, the accuraccy is amazing from mine.

I think that the new reg design is also being used in the latest Crowns.

I had a Bobcat MkII, .177. It was incredibly pellet fussy - by far the worst I have ever encountered. Even with its preferred batch of JSB Exacts its grouping was not as good as any of my other PCP's at any range I tried (8 to 65 yards). After spending a fortune on pellets and more time than I could spare, I gave up on it.

Good luck

Alan

as above I had the same problem with mine,i sold it on

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Many thanks for the comprehensive response, Neil.

So perhaps the x barrels are performing better in sub 12 than the original smooth twist.

I’ve been resisting scratching a smooth twist itch because of the bad grouping anecdotal evidence but maybe it’s time to look again at the x version.
    The STX barrel works in .177, I think the other smoothtwist barrels are a little 'hit or miss' in .177 at 12 ft lbs, but seem to work well in .22 and above, and all of them seem to work really well at FAC / American velocities.

I bought the Streamline to scratch an itch, which it has done, but the theoretical gains are not really there, it is a nice rifle, it shoots well and can be extremely accurate, but in truth it does nothing any better than any other decent rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    The STX barrel works in .177, I think the other smoothtwist barrels are a little 'hit or miss' in .177 at 12 ft lbs, but seem to work well in .22 and above, and all of them seem to work really well at FAC / American velocities.

I bought the Streamline to scratch an itch, which it has done, but the theoretical gains are not really there, it is a nice rifle, it shoots well and can be extremely accurate, but in truth it does nothing any better than any other decent rifle.
    Cheers Neil

I have a lovely FX Royale in .177 that the previous owner had rebarrelled with a LW (I think because of issues with the original smooth twist barrel) It’s like a laser out to 40 yards indoors - I’ve not had the chance to get out to 50+ - but the urge to try a smooth twist x barrel persists just for curiosity sake. Not sure how it could be more accurate but you never know.

Cheers

Steve.

Take a proper look at the Streamline then.

Mine is in the ACZ stock and that puts the price up, but if you can find an STX Streamline in a wood or plastic stock they are well priced.

LW barrels are excellent, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one... although, accuracy rests with the gunsmith / machinist who prepared the blank.

Each barrel is different. Each gun is different

Smooth twist isnt a new concept...just how the poylybore twist is applied as I see it in a simplistic form.

Depends if you believe the hype that was around when it was launched. It hasnt proven to be the game changer it was hailed to be.

That said....I am thinking of the FX Impact in FAC for the switch barrel capability amongst other reasons but the barrel itself...I dont care so long as it plants it where I am aiming.

Now they seem to have got a handle on the issues they had at launch.

I have always felt polybore on paper was a good idea and I see an argument for smooth bore too. A hybrid seems an excellent combo and in higher outputs that does seem to have a ring of truth about it.

But really.... when the barrel of an S200 can potentially out shoot a Steyr or Feinwerkbau or Walther or....etc.

You pays ya money and ya takes ya chance.

Like anything...I would want to shoot it before I sloshed out a load of wonga on it.

I want a good barrel and I am not willing to play russian roulette (pardon the pun) with that sort of money.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Depends if you believe the hype that was around when it was launched. It hasnt proven to be the game changer it was hailed to be
    I think this was half the problem, I hasten to add I have no opinion either way as not used one
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I have a Crown in sub 12. Once the s---e from the grease used during manufacture has passed through the action and the barrel has been cleaned (polished with VFG felts and blue paste,) the gun is as accurate as my Steyr and Anschutz. I have heard of people saying "not to clean" the STX barrel assembly. What a load of b-----s.
    The gun is superb to shoot and will shortly be used for bench rest shooting armed with a 12 mag scope. If it wasn't up to the job I would use another of my target rifles. The interior of the barrel, when polished, resembles a spiral galaxy when looking into the light. Following the polishing process, a few of the normal pull throughs after every tin keeps on top of the accuracy, which is nothing short of stunning. Personally, I love it.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Following yet another practise session of bench rest today, I would advise any Smooth Twist "X" barrel owner to give the tube a few pull throughs after approximately 300 pellets. Mine started to go off but was back to excellent after the LT1/Napier pull through treatment (x3). Incidentally, my barrel does not like anything but pellets manufactured by JSB, which is not surprising considering that the assembly was apparently designed to run with these pellets.
    I also owned an Impact and had both .177 and .22 barrels. The X Twist, has for me, proved to be more accurate than the original Smoothtwist in .177.
    Andy
    Last edited by Amac; 20-01-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !