Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with opens.

Shooting with opens.

I've just bought a little Springer for using with open sights. Anyway I've not really used opens for 40 years when my eyes were young, so I went to the range yesterday with my "new to me" toy and my variofocal glasses (which are fine for 10 metre pistol shooting).
    I was shooting at 20-25 yards aiming at 1" targets and I found it really difficult with my glasses on and had to push them hard into my face, I also had to alter my position so I could look down the sight line.
    When I returned home I tried some reading glasses but couldn't make out the target.
    The only solution I can think of is to buy some "Dennis Taylor" type snooker glasses.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've got a pair of "Dennis Taylor" glasses Gary, but even with them on I find it difficult to get a clear enough picture of the target at 25 yds to ensure an accurate shot, so it is 15 yds only on opens for me.

Best wishes, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Buy a Scope.

Thanks Michael and Mick,
    I was having limited success out to 25yds and quite enjoyed the challenge.
    The gun is a HW30 which I bought for open sight use without realising what I have since discovered with my lack of compatibility with my eyes.
    Ive just ordered a Hawke 2-7×32ao for it, will I get away with low mounts or will I need mediums?
    Gary.

Unfortunately the way varifocals are made they blend out towards the top and sides (IE you will not get perfect distance vision)
    I bought a set of single vision distance lenses for my open sight shooting, they make a huge difference.

Head down to your local optician you'll probably get some cheap frames on sale
    or just check online for deals.

Good luck

Thanks Michael and Mick,
    I was having limited success out to 25yds and quite enjoyed the challenge.
    The gun is a HW30 which I bought for open sight use without realising what I have since discovered with my lack of compatibility with my eyes.
    Ive just ordered a Hawke 2-7×32ao for it, will I get away with low mounts or will I need mediums?
    Gary.
    I have the Hawke Airmax 2-7×32ao on mine using what I believe are low mounts - i.e. 11/4inches (28mm) from centre of scope to base of mount, gives 4mm clearance at objective.
    Works really well with that size scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    I have the Hawke Airmax 2-7×32ao on mine using what I believe are low mounts - i.e. 11/4inches (28mm) from centre of scope to base of mount, gives 4mm clearance at objective.
    Works really well with that size scope.
    Thanks for that. I thought a low mount would fit but wasn't sure because of the larger diameter of the AO.

I got my Hw30s as a alternative to my main Bell target rifle, using the open sights.I hope to see you ringing the bell with your 30s at the next Bash.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I got my Hw30s as a alternative to my main Bell target rifle, using the open sights.I hope to see you ringing the bell with your 30s at the next Bash.
    Atb
    Les..
    No chance!!!

Although a nice little 2-7x32 will suit the little 30S very nicely, Gary, it's also a bit of a shame to not have an open sighted springer. For the long term, as per above, it may well be worth going down the route of some suitable glasses as shooting on opens offers another very enjoyable variation. And, with just a little bit of practice, you'd find ringing that bell target great fun.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Get a nice little Williams/Beeman Sports peep sight. Still open sight fun with a long sight line.

https://imgur.com/4kkhLem

https://imgur.com/dOfS10t
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Get a nice little Williams/Beeman Sports peep sight. Still open sight fun with a long sight line.

https://imgur.com/4kkhLem

https://imgur.com/dOfS10t
    What he said.

Me eyes aren’t great for opens but a aperture is just fine and dandy. Good enough for target shooters in rim fire and full bore, plus many military rifles No4 SMLE, SLR, Garland, M16 .....

Same thing here..I have opens on my hw80.25 for fun and a simmons whitetail classic 1.5x 5x 20 on my 77. I always used opens but can't for serious shooting now at 53.

A good low power scope is a good compromise....it will focus out most eyesight deficiencies yet retain a good field and fast shooting style.
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

Thanks Ian and Hsing-ee,
    I think that's the way to go but I'd like to try one before I buy.
    I don't suppose you could bring yours down to RAGC on Saturday if you're going please?

Thanks Ian and Hsing-ee,
    I think that's the way to go but I'd like to try one before I buy.
    I don't suppose you could bring yours down to RAGC on Saturday if you're going please?
    Yes, no probs - ( IF I remember. Old age and all that.) I think John 'GeeGee' also has a similar set up.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk