Thread: Shooting with opens.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shooting with opens.

I've just bought a little Springer for using with open sights. Anyway I've not really used opens for 40 years when my eyes were young, so I went to the range yesterday with my "new to me" toy and my variofocal glasses (which are fine for 10 metre pistol shooting).
    I was shooting at 20-25 yards aiming at 1" targets and I found it really difficult with my glasses on and had to push them hard into my face, I also had to alter my position so I could look down the sight line.
    When I returned home I tried some reading glasses but couldn't make out the target.
    The only solution I can think of is to buy some "Dennis Taylor" type snooker glasses.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've got a pair of "Dennis Taylor" glasses Gary, but even with them on I find it difficult to get a clear enough picture of the target at 25 yds to ensure an accurate shot, so it is 15 yds only on opens for me.

Best wishes, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Buy a Scope.

Thanks Michael and Mick,
    I was having limited success out to 25yds and quite enjoyed the challenge.
    The gun is a HW30 which I bought for open sight use without realising what I have since discovered with my lack of compatibility with my eyes.
    Ive just ordered a Hawke 2-7×32ao for it, will I get away with low mounts or will I need mediums?
    Gary.

Unfortunately the way varifocals are made they blend out towards the top and sides (IE you will not get perfect distance vision)
    I bought a set of single vision distance lenses for my open sight shooting, they make a huge difference.

Head down to your local optician you'll probably get some cheap frames on sale
    or just check online for deals.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Thanks Michael and Mick,
    I was having limited success out to 25yds and quite enjoyed the challenge.
    The gun is a HW30 which I bought for open sight use without realising what I have since discovered with my lack of compatibility with my eyes.
    Ive just ordered a Hawke 2-7×32ao for it, will I get away with low mounts or will I need mediums?
    Gary.
    I have the Hawke Airmax 2-7×32ao on mine using what I believe are low mounts - i.e. 11/4inches (28mm) from centre of scope to base of mount, gives 4mm clearance at objective.
    Works really well with that size scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    I have the Hawke Airmax 2-7×32ao on mine using what I believe are low mounts - i.e. 11/4inches (28mm) from centre of scope to base of mount, gives 4mm clearance at objective.
    Works really well with that size scope.
    Thanks for that. I thought a low mount would fit but wasn't sure because of the larger diameter of the AO.

I got my Hw30s as a alternative to my main Bell target rifle, using the open sights.I hope to see you ringing the bell with your 30s at the next Bash.
    Atb
    Les..