Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW100 T has become completely inaccurate

Weihrauch HW100 T has become completely inaccurate

Hello all. My Weihrauch HW100 T was able to put pellet on pellet at 25 yards. Now it is behaving like a shotgun. A couple of weeks ago, I was unable to group with any accuracy. At 25 yards the rifle was grouping shots that could all fit under a 5p piece and most of them were pellet on pellet. The loss of accuracy was puzzling. I use the most consistent pellets I could find (RWS R10 Match).

Many suggestions were made and I exchanged the scope (mine has a glass etched reticle so it was unlikely to be the cause) and a gunsmith told me that the barrel had become loose and the silencer was bent out of true. He had apparently tightened the barrel and I bought a new Huggett moderator. The barrel of the gun was cleaned and today, I have had no success with grouping shots. The target still resembles one that was shot with a blunderbuss or a shotgun.

The images attached via dropbox are the target face with a moderator on and before barrel cleaning. The next image shows what was a potential group after the barrel was cleaned. It is a long way away from what I am used to. The final image shows that target face after the barrel was cleaned and the moderator was removed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxyps7ma7...th61b3PDa?dl=0

My questions: Has anyone ever seen this type of issue previously? The gunsmith said that the barrel was slightly loose and he had tightened it. The gun is around 2 years old. The chrony shows consistent figures with 10.5 fpe with 8.4 gr pellets (RWS superpoints) and 11.5 fpe with 7 gr, .452, R10 Match pellets. Small fps variations covering no more than approximately 9 fps for both pellet sizes and weights.

I am not sure what else to try. The seals all appear to be intact and there is no leaking from the cylinder when left. All suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by jepho; 13-01-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: correcting dropbox address
    Feinwerkbau 700 Evolution Top - Air Arms Alfa Pro J

I had one like that years ago in 22 perfect when I got it then it went all to cock tried everything to fix it ,even went back to Hull cartridge who (claimed to ) replace loads of parts and send me back a target with a group they shot at 5 mtrs fixed it by px ing it for a Daystate !
    I know thats not much help but it was my experience (never had a 100 since )

interesting, was it a HW mod? No reason for one to be bent, a support might have collapsed causing it to clip.
    Might be the crown if you have been over entheusiastic with a cleaning rod or it if you've been firing felt wads..one knocking the mod out.

Barrel loose...hmm. If its not a problem at the muzzle end then maybe its the breech end, Magazine out of alignment.burr in the breech face? probe??
    Is there a transfer tube rather than a port?

Any joy firing single shots?

I've seen this, in that case the barrel grub screw had become loose.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

I experienced exactly the same dilemma with my Ltd. Ed. RS Scorpion when it suddenly became very inconsistent and exhausted what I thought was all the possibilities for error (including sending it back to BSA twice), until someone at my club asked me if I'd ruled out the scope being the cause? I'd just not considered that aspect, as it was a fairly new, £180 Nikko that hadn't been dropped, knocked etc. and this gun/scope combo had only ever been used inside.

Nevertheless, as I'd tried everything else to try and discover the cause, I tested it out with another scope and surprise, surprise, that was it! What had caused this optic to 'go off' all of a sudden, god alone knows, but it was the culprit. Fortunately, it was replaced under Nikko's lifetime warranty, so all was well in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    I had one like that years ago in 22 perfect when I got it then it went all to cock tried everything to fix it ,even went back to Hull cartridge who (claimed to ) replace loads of parts and send me back a target with a group they shot at 5 mtrs fixed it by px ing it for a Daystate !
    I know thats not much help but it was my experience (never had a 100 since )
    Thanks for the thoughts. I am still curious as to what put everything out of kilter as the gun has always been stored and transported in a hard case. It had never previously shown any signs of being temperamental. The pellet groups I shot were usually within a 10mm group. Now I feel like I cannot shoot.

The Daystate guns have never appealed to me for three reasons. 1. The cost which makes them seem overpriced when compared to say an Anschütz 9015 Club at £1475. 2. The chief gunsmith at Daystate... he advised a customer who wanted to fit a bipod to his Huntsman Regal to drill the forestock at the thinnest point. Insert the screw and if the hole was too deep just fill it with candle wax! 3. Unregulated.

Link not working bud, asking to sign In
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by Squintykid View Post
    interesting, was it a HW mod? No reason for one to be bent, a support might have collapsed causing it to clip.
    Might be the crown if you have been over entheusiastic with a cleaning rod or it if you've been firing felt wads..one knocking the mod out.

Barrel loose...hmm. If its not a problem at the muzzle end then maybe its the breech end, Magazine out of alignment.burr in the breech face? probe??
    Is there a transfer tube rather than a port?

Any joy firing single shots?
    Thanks for the reply. The original moderator was Weihrauch's own. I think the gunsmith who had my gun for examination was wrong. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the moderator. The rifle performed the same with and without it and with the Huggett replacement too. The crown looks undamaged. I have not treated the rifle roughly in any way.

Magazines appear to sit correctly. The barrel was supposedly loose and tightened but without effect. On cleaning the gun today, a slight rattle between the action and the stock was noted and the screws in the forestock were tightened. I expect to test the gun in a couple of hours to see if that was the issue all along.

Will check the breech face when I test the gun this afternoon but visually it appears to be normal. No joy with single shots... they just go wherever they want. You will know that the HW 100 does not have a fully auto mode anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Link not working bud, asking to sign In
    Oops! Try this: Public folder link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxyps7ma7...th61b3PDa?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    I've seen this, in that case the barrel grub screw had become loose.
    Thank you. If the gunsmith was correct and he tightened the barrel then the issue should have gone. It has not so the issue must be something else. The barrel does not feel loose to gentle tugging and twisting movements.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    I experienced exactly the same dilemma with my Ltd. Ed. RS Scorpion when it suddenly became very inconsistent and exhausted what I thought was all the possibilities for error (including sending it back to BSA twice), until someone at my club asked me if I'd ruled out the scope being the cause? I'd just not considered that aspect, as it was a fairly new, £180 Nikko that hadn't been dropped, knocked etc. and this gun/scope combo had only ever been used inside.

Nevertheless, as I'd tried everything else to try and discover the cause, I tested it out with another scope and surprise, surprise, that was it! What had caused this optic to 'go off' all of a sudden, god alone knows, but it was the culprit. Fortunately, it was replaced under Nikko's lifetime warranty, so all was well in the end.
    Thank you for your input. At the time I first noticed the issue, I swapped out the scope for another new one. It was an unlikely cause of the issue because the scope has an engraved glass reticle rather than wires set into the scope body. Nevertheless, if the new scope I tried was good, then the issue should have been resolved but it wasn't.

Curiously, the cleaning of the barrel today, caused the rough group seen in image two but only for about ten shots then the issue returned.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Have you tried domed pellets?

The 2 pellets you mention have terrible accuracy over 10 yards in my experience.
    Master Debater

seen the pics now, infuriating loss of accuracy .
    Shot ok momentarily, what did you clean the barrel with?

Quote Originally Posted by Squintykid View Post
    seen the pics now, infuriating loss of accuracy .
    Shot ok momentarily, what did you clean the barrel with?
    Napier spray for barrel cleaning. Silicone grease of some sort used by range shop staff. The image shows what I was getting a few weeks ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45wh5jonvd...HW100.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by jepho; 13-01-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added image of 5 HW 100 shots at 25 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Have you tried domed pellets?

The 2 pellets you mention have terrible accuracy over 10 yards in my experience.
    Thank you for your time.

I have attached a link for an image showing 5 x RWS R10 Match pellets shot at 25 yards from my Weihrauch HW 100.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45wh5jonvd...HW100.jpg?dl=0

I don't believe that the R10s would fall into the category of "terrible accuracy" with a result like that. I made a mistake saying Super Point pellets earlier, which I have never shot. I have shot the RWS Super Field pellets which are domed and also very accurate, in my experience.