Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
Welcome to the world of airguns, a far from perfect world as you are finding

Geezer sums up my findings over the years shooting airguns

Pellet fussy, for what ever reason is a well know fact,this was the issue with my gun not saying it is the problem with yours

As for expecting higher cost guns to be without faults I feel you may be disappointed, a good comparison could be made with cars

Good debate keep us informed
If the gun had misbehaved from day one, when it was first purchased, I could accept the concept of a Friday night object. Because it has behaved well and shot perfectly for the 18 months during which I have owned it, then the issue is not clear cut. I don't necessarily expect a manufactured product to exhibit no faults. I do expect higher costs to be reflected in materials and care in manufacturer; with a percentage of those costs being reflected in quality assurance.

For example; the trigger mechanism of the Anschütz 9015 (which I had held recently) was so light that I kept missing the slight break before the ultra quiet release. Compared to the Weihrauch Rekord, which is known to be a good trigger unit, the Anschütz was a whole world away in terms of its quality and predictability and an absolute revelation to me once I had learned to use it. Can a £200 gun with a plastic trigger replicate that very sweet release? No! Can a gunsmith make a cheap trigger feel like the Anschütz? No! There has to be a reason to charge what manufacturers set their prices at and almost certainly it will be reflected in material choices, manufacturing techniques, tolerances and QA.

I shoot an Air Arms Alfa Pro J pistol. It is as accurate as I required. However, some kind person lent me their Feinwerkbau pistol to shoot with and it was a very different experience. It felt far more accurate and designed to assist the shooter in every way. I wont be replacing my Alfa Pro J anytime soon but I could see and feel where the extra cost is buried in the Feinwerkbau.

I will report back all transactions with my gunsmith.