Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW100 T has become completely inaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    hi mate you say they are not made in west germany anymore,where did they move to?
    I think he's referring to the quality of old back before the unification of Germany.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

just a little feedback to the OP with my Hw100.

After trying about 20 different pellets I am semi settled that at least some of it is the pellet. I can pretty much do one hole at 20-25 yards. But down on our 50 yard range we are talking 1-1.5inch center to center on the grouping which is "ok" but I wouldnt have said it was fantastic. This is obviously random flier and wind pending. But it seems to like really light pellets, JSB Diablo RS lights - 13.x grain seem to be order of the day from the testing pack. H&N FTTs / pretty much everything else gives a spread of 2+ inches at 50 yeards which is not what I was expecting from a Hw100.

How much I am over expecting after getting 5p groups at 50 yards with my .177's I don't know but we shall see when the tin arrives this week.

Pete

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    have done this a couple of time, with great results, but only on barrels that I was ready to scrap, so had nothing to lose. Not recommended in any other situation really.

And it helps to have a lathe to machine a new one if needed
    Did you forget the power feed, the gun drill for coolant, a coolant capable lathe, the travelling centre and the four jaw chuck?
    Feinwerkbau 700 Evolution Top - Air Arms Alfa Pro J

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    is this issue still going on, if so i will tell you what it is an that is the little washer inside the main valve ,either worn or sticking, making the gun use different amounts of air,Chrony the gun .
    Thank you. Every Chrony series was no more than 7 fps different over ten shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    I don't know if this has already been said, and I do realise that this isn't a spring rifle, but PCPs can also be susceptible to over/under tightening of stock screws, might be worth a look. Rog
    Thank you. The screws were checked and they are not too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Crikey, a lot of different suggestions on here.

The source of inaccuracy could be down to a number of things but most importantly, if it was at one time very accurate, without having to keep cleaning the barrel it'll be possible to return it to its former self.

Firstly let me say that a so called fussy barrel as they're described isn't a good barrel. A barrel should be able to shoot a number of pellets accurately but may have a preference that'll give supreme accuracy.

Let's start with the silencer, the HW version, a market leader, as others have said shouldn't bend, they're robustly built. Any damage would be evident on the 1/2 unf thread end by way of indentations. The silencer can be easily checked to see if pellets are clipping, remove the muzzle end with a 7mm Allen key. Inside are three chambers separated by metal washers, easy to take out and put back. The central hole is designed for 177, 20 and .22 so the former will have the greatest clearance.

The barrel; HW have recent history of producing poorly finished examples with rough internal finishes and crowns. Things just don't seem to be the same as when the Weihrauch's we use to know we're made in West Germany. The reason this causes inaccuracy is the rough finishes collect lead deposits. A proper barrel tune can often sort this out.

The internals; inaccuracy as your experiencing could well be caused by power fluctuations a chronograph would show this. The inlet valve could cause this if the ball bearing was sticking in its O ring seat. The piston could also be sticking. Dirt in the regulator washers can also cause power fluctuations. Issues with the dump valve would result in air loss down the barrel, so unless you're experiencing this it can be ruled out. A strip, clean and O ring chance will sort this as long as there's no damage.

The back block has a couple of possible causes, the first is the hammer sticking due to over zealous factory use of poor quality grease. Another possibility but a bit of a long shot is the cocking arm lever which could be slightly bent preventing a full seal with the breach. Again, a strip clean and check everything is geometrically correct will sort this out.

If of course there is a couple of these issues they could add up leading to the inaccuracy.

If you wish your welcome to pm me to discuss.

BM
    Thank you for your comprehensive and informative post.

Given the previous 18 months extreme accuracy, I think it reasonable to assume that the barrel did not start out being poorly made. I finally checked the moderator myself. I could see no build up of lead nor any signs of pellet clipping. It was confirmed by exchanging the silencer for a brand new Huggett model; which made no difference to the poor accuracy issue. Additionally the gun was fired without any moderator and the shotgun pattern was still evident.

I could not get several series of ten pellets to show any substantial fps variations nor was the muzzle energy unexpected for the pellet weights and recorded velocities. With no power fluctuations, I am at a loss as to how I can understand the mechanism by which the pellets are not being delivered as expected. I think a full service is probably called for because after 18 months of weekly use, the gun could probably do with it.

When I removed the barrelled action, there did not appear to be any impediment to the hammer by way of a surfeit of grease. The cocking leaver appears to be the correct shape and is very smooth in its action. Thanks for the heads up about the breech not being sealed correctly with an out of true cocking lever.

Thank you for your kind offer of a PM conversation. I don't want to waste your valuable time just because I know SFA about guns. I believe the gunsmith (where the gun is was delivered) is a member of this BBS, so he may be able to further shed light on the issue for the benefit of the membership.

My short term answer is to wait and see what is revealed. I suspect now that a dirty barrel is still the culprit in some way that I do not understand as yet. I think some lead splash has attached itself to the rifling and is imparting a twist to the pellets. This would account for the random hits. I will try and film them in slow motion after I get the gun back.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Now I know nothing about HW100s, but I was talking to a fellow shooter at Kingsley this morning who had encountered a similar problem that was finally identified as being the probe not moving back and forward uniformly but putting the pellet into the breech at a slight angle. If you can put a pellet in using tweezers this can be ruled out.

Steve C.
    Thanks for the suggestion. The gun is not in my hands at the moment so I cannot check this. I did not see any problems with feeding the pellets from the magazine. Another person suggested the hand feeding test too, so it is on the cards if the gunsmith cannot assist me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavant_Lad View Post
    Will be interesting to learn what your elected gunsmith has to say on this rifle.
    You can sing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pman View Post
    just a little feedback to the OP with my Hw100.

After trying about 20 different pellets I am semi settled that at least some of it is the pellet. I can pretty much do one hole at 20-25 yards. But down on our 50 yard range we are talking 1-1.5inch center to center on the grouping which is "ok" but I wouldnt have said it was fantastic. This is obviously random flier and wind pending. But it seems to like really light pellets, JSB Diablo RS lights - 13.x grain seem to be order of the day from the testing pack. H&N FTTs / pretty much everything else gives a spread of 2+ inches at 50 yeards which is not what I was expecting from a Hw100.

How much I am over expecting after getting 5p groups at 50 yards with my .177's I don't know but we shall see when the tin arrives this week.

Pete
    Hi. Thanks for the response.
    I guess you must be shooting .22 with 13 grain pellets.

My own gun is .177. If I want to shoot light pellets, the RWS R10 match pellets are only 8.2 grain in weight for rifles.
    I could even use the 7 grain R10s for pistols, if lightness was an issue.

For a .22 calibre gun you could try RWS hobby pellets. They are 11.9 grain so they may help your cause if lighter pellets work better.
    Technically speaking, the lighter pellets should have a flatter trajectory and give you an increase in velocity. Both of these characteristics should help to improve the accuracy. I think when you are testing, there is no substitute for shooting from a solid bench-rest and indoors. That way, you have eliminated two of the common variables which will affect accuracy. Wind and gun movement.

Update from Gunsmith 22/1/19

22nd January 2019 - short update from my gunsmith for the BBS members who were following this thread.

It would appear that the reason for the fault is that the probe is not pushing the pellets into the barrel on axis. The probe is pushing the pellets into the transfer port out of line and there is no obvious reason for misalignment. The probe was checked and clocked and is completely straight. The cocking lever linkage is not bent. The action will be sent to Hull Cartridge for an assessment.

More news when I get it...

Sounds like the magazine indexing is not properly aligned.

Returned from Hull Cartridge - not fixed.

The gunsmith sent the rifle to Hull Cartridge who took a look at it. The may have adjusted something but the gunsmith would not accept the groups being produced. In fairness, Hull Cartridge did not import the rifle. It was purchased by my RFD (who has since closed his shop) and so was a grey import. Hull Cartridge did some work because they have a long standing relationship with (and respect for) my gunsmith. It appears that I might be able to sell some parts as spares and the scope would be a valuable asset to those who would use it (Hawke Airmax SF 30 4~16 x 50).

As a last course of action I have written to Weihrauch to see if they can assist me.

Quote Originally Posted by jepho View Post
    Many suggestions were made and I exchanged the scope (mine has a glass etched reticle so it was unlikely to be the cause)
    Take a third scope and check it on another gun if it works perfectly. Then mount it on Your HW100.
    It is not the glass etched reticle but loose lenses that cause a shift in POI.

Breach seal , try changing it

I guess we don't know the full story, but it is a bit of a concern that Hull Cartridge couldn't sort it, whether or not it was an official import. Makes you wonder if they could sort a HC import with the same fault.