Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: One for the collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    There were some really odd scope/rifle choices .
    Interesting. Such as?

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I wonder what happened to the original action....That serial number 163320 didn't appear on any other HW55's at that auction.
    I've just checked the serial number of the HW55S that Mike gave me some years ago, and guess what

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I've just checked the serial number of the HW55S that Mike gave me some years ago, and guess what
    Ha! It really is a small world.
    Can I ask what sort of stock does it have on it?
    If we could date it I’m guessing it would be 1980

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Ha! It really is a small world.
    Can I ask what sort of stock does it have on it?
    If we could date it I’m guessing it would be 1980

Cheers,
    Matt.
    I think it's a 55M stock with no identifying marks that I can find to suggest a date. It has a finger groove either side of the fore end rather than chequering, and is ambidextrous (no cheek piece).

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I think it's a 55M stock with no identifying marks that I can find to suggest a date. It has a finger groove either side of the fore end rather than chequering, and is ambidextrous (no cheek piece).
    Quick look in Hiller’s and It could be a 70’s/80’s HW55SM (standard match) if it has a thick curved rubber butt pad, or a mid 50’s/60’s HW55S (standard) if it has a thin butt plate.
    Both have the finger groove and no cheek piece.

Lovely rifles,

Cheers for the info,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Interesting. Such as?
    Unfortunately I can't remember the glaringly obvious one but basically it was a mediocre rifle, worth less than £300 and was sporting a Schmidt and bender 8x56?
    There were several really strange combinations, I think it's possible to look back through the lots still now.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Peezeet View Post
    I managed to buy it. I paid a lot. Is this the Original Daystate? What is it worth?
    No its not an original Daystate model, the PH6 action is the Daystate part. The stock and trigger adaptions look like B&M modifications to me.
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Mediocre rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Unfortunately I can't remember the glaringly obvious one but basically it was a mediocre rifle, worth less than £300 and was sporting a Schmidt and bender 8x56?
    There were several really strange combinations, I think it's possible to look back through the lots still now.
    I
    The rifle concerned is a Webley Tomahawk and while the price is correct, the rifle itself can not be described as mediocre, probably the best rifle along with the Longbow as the best ever produced by Webley.

Mediocre rifle

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    The rifle concerned is a Webley Tomahawk and while the price is correct, the rifle itself can not be described as mediocre, probably the best rifle along with the Longbow as the best ever produced by Webley.
    Agreed.

I also agree that a huge S&B is a bit much on almost any air rifle.

For what it’s worth, my Tommie wears a M8 6x42 Leup, and my Longbow a Premier Reticles modified 4-12x40 Leup. Both scopes bought second-hand at not silly prices. They feel quite appropriate.