Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One for the collectors

Auction

Some beautiful guns, but I wonder how many people will buy online, only to find that it does not quite live up to expectations
    or maybe have a problem. I suppose you pay your money you take your chance.
    The only gauranteed winner is the Auction House so good luck to all and hopefully only smiley faces
    Last edited by 10/10; 16-01-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Any serious collector will take the day off, get in the car, puts the kids into care and raid the never-to-be-touched emergency savings account, and be there! With such a large and diverse collection there is likely to be more 'stuff' available than there are people prepared to do the above, and as such there are likely to be a few bargains, especially amongst the not so high profile items.
    Looking at the 'prices realised' afterwards and wailing about how cheap this, that and the other was, is all too late!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Yes some very interesting lots. As I do not think I could get there for the auction I just e mailed their appointed shipping agents to see if post/delivery is an option. They said yes but indicated cost could in the region of £135 - £155. Wow.

Cheers, Phil
    Wow that's alot! Plus 29% on top!

Loads of interesting guns, but it looks like they had a very hard life...

Also the auction charges are extortionate! 30% to be paid by the buyer and 10% by the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post

Also the auction charges are extortionate! 30% to be paid by the buyer and 10% by the seller.
    Sold as seen as well, and no chance to try.

Even at this early stage all the Whiscombes have gone over £1k (one over £1.5k, that's £1950 to be paid by the buyer with fees!) and there is still over a week left until the auction starts...

I don't think there will be many bargains...

My understanding was 20% on hammer price & Vat so if I paid £1000 on hammer the commission would be £240, so in essence 24%. Or have I misunderstood?
    https://www.walnut.black

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    My understanding was 20% on hammer price & Vat so if I paid £1000 on hammer the commission would be £240, so in essence 24%. Or have I misunderstood?
    I think that's if you bid directly with the auction house, if you bid through www.the-saleroom.com it's 29.94%.

I think that's if you bid directly with the auction house, if you bid through www.the-saleroom.com it's 29.94%.
    Correct. I just phoned them. They confirmed. The Saleroom add a further percentage.
    https://www.walnut.black

Lot 175

Diana 52. Wearing a very rare Venom Trophy Stock. They didn't do many of these. Regards Mach 1.5

I put bid in but every reply I got said you have just been out bid!!!!
    originally showing £50 so I jumped in at £60... I stopped at £120
    some nice stuff some not so nice
    Ive got 3 dogs to support
    maybe they can go on a diet...got in the bidding again,guess what..automatically outbidded.It happens immediately
    Someone must have an arrangement somehow to outbid everybid thats made...
    Last edited by craig9mm; 17-01-2019 at 04:39 PM.

I like the look of the Sheridan C9 Silver Streak (Lot 40)
    I see the price ticket of £165 is still on the box -- it will be interesting to see just how much it goes for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Diana 52. Wearing a very rare Venom Trophy Stock. They didn't do many of these. Regards Mach 1.5
    Is it a genuine Venom stock though Mach? It looks to lack the usual quality to me. And the rifle itself is dog rough. My bet is that it’s from Cindy’s.

To be honest I can’t see a genuine Venom stock on there, they all look like copies.

The scoped 55T looks like it’s a Venom converted 55. If I was into Venoms, that’s the one I would go for.

Lot 168 is a genuine, left hand Mastersport. But it looks well worn and as you know FWBs are delicate little souls. If you’re interested in it check for wear in the breach pin and the locking detent. Also be very mindful of the trigger. These are susceptible to failure after 30 years and the only person that can repair them - my Uncle Dave - I’m told won’t touch them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Prices could be high at this auction, I missed out on this at £71000.

Baz

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...8-a63300a9d712
    Ha, ha

By the time it has been restored it'll be like the legendary axe from the Battle of Hastings - "Completely original, blade replaced twice handle four times".

There is quite a mishmash within the rifles. Some standard and some with fiddle factor history.
    You will have to know your Venoms. One stated Venom might not be, but the one next to it not saying anything might be?
    Some will be a complete punt and you won't know what you have got until its home.

No doubt whoever collected these had a lot of fun doing it. It typifies the second hand market and how much tinkering goes on with kit.

Then there are some absolute rare beasts that are what they are. Hard found pieces that just aren't going to appear again any time soon.

Its why going to have a look is worth the trip. Its an auction, and how deep the pockets for any one gun is anyones guess.

I don't know if this is a true case or not but someone's widow might find out what their late partner had spent all their pocket money on My late Godfather's wife found he had seven vintage Aston Martins, and she thought only three having told him "no more"!! She was over £21/2million better off than she thought!!!