Thread: Caldwell The Rock

Caldwell The Rock

Hi Does anybody have The Rock shooting rest? How do you find it? I have just started shooting at a club off my bag. There are a couple of these rests being used and i have not used one but i have rested my gun on one and been very impressed with the very steady scope picture. Any good for airgun use?

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    Hi Does anybody have The Rock shooting rest? How do you find it? I have just started shooting at a club off my bag. There are a couple of these rests being used and i have not used one but i have rested my gun on one and been very impressed with the very steady scope picture. Any good for airgun use?
    I imagine your talking about the seriously heavy gun rest from Caldwell, I had one for a while, I had no choice, as the benchrest competition I was doing (Hendon league) didn't allow soft bags in the rules, if I could have used a bag I would have, so I would say, that unless the rules say that you can't use a bag, don't bother with the rock, plus, they aren't exactly cheap. Rog

I have the smaller version, the rock jr. Made of metal it's heavy and rock steady. A very good shooting rest IMHO.
    I have also seen the one made by Remmington but being made of plastic it's nowhere near the same quality as the Caldwell.
    Hope that helps. Steve.

[QUOTE=Harley_Steve;7627121]I have the smaller version, the rock jr. Made of metal it's heavy and rock steady. A very good shooting rest IMHO.
    I have also seen the one made by Remmington but being made of plastic it's nowhere near the same quality as the Caldwell.
    Hope that helps. Steve.[/QUO

Thanks to both of you.

I have one. It’s ok as a rest. But doesn’t crack it as a top-line benchrest rest. The vertical movement has play (which increases the higher it goes) and cannot be improved - although when clamped up it is solid enough. There is no micro adjustment for height, as on dearer/better benchrest rests. Play in the horizontal movement can be reduced, but less play means a tighter sliding action (I replaced the adjustment wheel with a larger diameter one). The base is good and heavy with three screwed feet to set the rest horizontally in 2 planes - use a spirit level though rather than the built in bubble level.

If you shoot benchrest, then I’d say this in an acceptable base entry rest, that needs a little fettling to get the best from it. If you are just using it as a front rest for plinking and the like, then it’s probably a little more than needed and a good bag will do.