Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic ? Prosport part 2

Catastrophic ? Prosport part 2

AIR ARMS PROSPORT RECOVERY PROJECT. Serial No. Calibre .177 01 10 2019
    This arrived “because you like a challenge or may be useful for spares”

Lovely stock as you see. Shooting a bit wayward but ideal for running boar maybe

The owner didn’t want to talk about the cause of the damage.
    Today seemed a good time to have a go at it so started with the stock.
    Neat break so easy enough to align for pilot drill using our dedicated gauge

Drilled a clearance hole in fore end so a screw would pull the joint together firmly.

35 mm curtain pole jigged a bit to give firm clamping pad. Dithered over choice of glue for it but went with D4 mainly because the Cascamite had gone crummy and local shops closed today.

Stripped the action while the stock was cooking and set about assessing the distortion. Almost within certain modern factory spec. Some would say.

If interested see next post. Hit image limit!!

Sighting through the bore shows the bend clearly although the photo isn’t good.

Barrel straightened and checked in our dedicated alignment jig! Would be interesting to have it on surface plate/vblocks/DTI or similar sometime but have to go with what we’ve got.

On with the stock. Clamp removed then thunder screw set in glue and fixed across fracture line.
    Screw recess filled and smoothed to disguise the head. Only done for personal taste. Not really necessary and, wouldn’t, not intended to fool anyone.

Stock dents steamed, rubbed down with scotchbrite, and walnut oiled a few times.

Getting quite excited now.

Pistol grip ugly but sound

Back to where we started A most satisfying trip

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Nice work - but did you only straighten the shroud and not the barrel as well?

If the barrel is bent then the only way to straighten it is to remove the big nut from the cylinder at the transfer port and strip off the shroud. The barrel itself is only about 12-14" long from the transfer port, and fairly spindly.

Jerry

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Brilliant job. Nice work.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Very good job.....

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Soon to be for sale "As new, only a tin of pellets shot".
    Master Debater

A very nice repair to the stock,obviously the barrel will be a challenge,still at over £100 for a replacement it's worth a go.

Was it Fred or Wilma who let the gun go in that state?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Easy enough to machine a new barrel up from a blank if needed - go for .20 - but it will probably be fine unless crimped, which seems unlikely.

JerryD, the barrel is a tight fit in the shroud, so both will have been straightened.

Nice work, very good job
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Easy enough to machine a new barrel up from a blank if needed - go for .20 - but it will probably be fine unless crimped, which seems unlikely.

JerryD, the barrel is a tight fit in the shroud, so both will have been straightened.

Nice work, very good job
    Jon, are the shrouds loctited on the barrel?

I'm thinking of changing mine as there was a sling swivel on the shroud once and it marked the blueing.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Jon, are the shrouds loctited on the barrel?

I'm thinking of changing mine as there was a sling swivel on the shroud once and it marked the blueing.

Pete
    yes... light blowtorching (yellow flame, not blue) move it around quickly all over the shroud - but not too near the muzzle - and a welding glove does the job. Twist / slide it off and ship it to Richard...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Nice recovery there fella, great work!

By the lack of willingness to discuss the bent barrel and snapped stock, you would think somebody drove over the rifle and was embarrassed about it

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    Nice recovery there fella, great work!

By the lack of willingness to discuss the bent barrel and snapped stock, you would think somebody drove over the rifle and was embarrassed about it
    yeah, drove over or maybe dropped from a decent height - at least 6 foot I'd have thought but the damage looks far more like being driven over on softish ground; no signs of the abrasions you'd get from impact damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yeah, drove over or maybe dropped from a decent height - at least 6 foot I'd have thought but the damage looks far more like being driven over on softish ground; no signs of the abrasions you'd get from impact damage.
    It looks like It probably just spent a few hours in the parcelforce warehouse mate...

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
    It looks like It probably just spent a few hours in the parcelforce warehouse mate...
    My guess as well. UPS sent me a walnut, MarkII, lefty, TX200 that had very much the same damage. The barrel was even bent to the left as well, but closer to pointing dead left. The cocking arm was straight, so it must have just caught the tip of the barrel. I was very unhappy with the OOPS company.

that's a fantastic job you done there mate