Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand pump questions

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    When I used a pump it was about 6 strokes to pressurise the hose up to match the rifle and then roughly 10 strokes for every 6 pellets fired with a .22, or 2 strokes per pellet fired in .177.

I did once pump a stealth bottle from 120bar, never again - top up every 20-30 pellets.
    I have looked at the Stealth and it has a 490 bottle, which is lots more than a 280 rapid bottle.
    Was your bottle the standard 490 Mr Bear?

There must be some maniac on here who has filled a 280 bottle with a pump????

Is it the number of pumps that is an issue or is it that it become harder to pump once the pressure gets up? Or both?
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

I used to have a hills mk3 pump and found it easy enough to fill my s200 and super10 that I had at the time I did the s200 in one go and the super10 in 2 bit I am fairly strong and was at the gym a lot at the time so maybe wouldn't fair aswell now lol.

On another note my mate had a Webley pump and it was shite compared to my hills.

Quote Originally Posted by C.V View Post
    I have looked at the Stealth and it has a 490 bottle, which is lots more than a 280 rapid bottle.
    Was your bottle the standard 490 Mr Bear?

There must be some maniac on here who has filled a 280 bottle with a pump????

Is it the number of pumps that is an issue or is it that it become harder to pump once the pressure gets up? Or both?
    Yes it was the standard bottle.

It's a mix of both the pressure & the volume,
    as the pressure increases it gets a lot harder to pump & the more volume you need to fill obviously the more strokes are required, which is why I go by strokes per pellet.
    bottle size is irrelevant if you top up after X number of shots, most manufacturers also say to rest the pump for 5min every 50 odd strokes.

It can be quite a work out using a pump, depending on your height/build & the height/stroke length of the pump,
    for some people it's just on their arms which is a similar effort per stroke to a press-up,
    For taller people they might need a bit of a squat or abdominal bend to get the handle right down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Personally I would not like to fill a bottle gun with a pump. Guns with small cylinders ie AA S200/400K, BSA Ultra etc are pretty easy.
    Completely agree. I fill my scorpion with my pump, although it's mostly topping up. Have filled my hw100 from near empty with my pump before but again, it's a small cylinder. I normally pump 50 bar, bleed and leave a few minutes. This prevents heat build up.
    Effort is easy for topping up and doesn't take long.
    I've never had a problem with moisture. Always pump indoors and have inspected the inside of my hw100 cylinder. No signs of moisture whatsoever. I use an RWS Pump which has a moisture filter fitted which I inspect every now and then.
    Filling a bottle gun would be an effort however and would wear your pump.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377