Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "In stock" "but not"

"In stock" "but not"

Right I'm only writing this thread to vent my frustration at companies that advertise a product take payment and then contact you and say "well it's not in stock but we are expecting a delivery shortly".

I'm not naming names yet as I'm awaiting confirmation on a delivery but it has certainly pi££ed me off recently.

If you see an advert and it says "in stock" what does that mean? It's on the shelf and available for immediate delivery!?

Apparently it means no it's not in stock but we should get a delivery soon but cannot say when?

Now that's off my chest I can breathe and carry on my evening!

Regards

Chris

garym is offline Outruns Death in his slippers
    Quote Originally Posted by Readingcop View Post
    Right I'm only writing this thread to vent my frustration at companies that advertise a product take payment and then contact you and say "well it's not in stock but we are expecting a delivery shortly".

I'm not naming names yet as I'm awaiting confirmation on a delivery but it has certainly pi££ed me off recently.

If you see an advert and it says "in stock" what does that mean? It's on the shelf and available for immediate delivery!?

Apparently it means no it's not in stock but we should get a delivery soon but cannot say when?

Regards

Chris
    A mate of mine asked me to order a scope a few days ago. 1300 quid! Web says , in stock. Go to order. Back orders only. Basically, pay now and we will tell you when we have it in stock! What a frustration. I had to try and explain that to a friend who speaks little english. My head still throbs. It is a minefield.

I've just checked their website and it still states gun is in stock!

had this just before Christmas ordered wife's present £200 worth and pays via paypal to get email saying out of stock due in soon as it was for Christmas i dare not wait so got refund

ordered from another seller to have it happen again

Finely ordered from a 3rd seller who confirmed they had the item before i paid

now even though Paypal had confirmed the refunds the same day they still took £600 from my bank account a few days later before refunding £400 in to my bank luckily it was just after pay day so my account could take the hit for the few days it took to get the money back in my bank account
    Cheers Lloyd

I have a feeling this is because of the time we live in.
    It smacks of "just in time" but at the merest difficulty the whole thing snarls up.
    However to keep the order books full they keep taking orders in the vein hope that it will sort itself out.

Then there are others who take advantage of this and take orders knowing there is a lead time for ordering items.
    They then take advantage of earning interest on monies paid for items but in the knowledge that they themselves probably have 30days or even 60days to pay the manufacturer after being suppplied.
    If it were a couple of hundred quid it wouldn't matter but potentially it could be tens of thousands of pounds sitting in their accounts accruing interest while the lowly customer sits and waits for the delivery.

Maybe we should be more like the French activist and vent our feelings.

Atb
    Ed

Yes I am beginning to think you are right, my order is for £1645.00 so not a small amount.
    I'm keen to get what I ordered but if they cannot deliver ASAP I'll ask for a refund and then take my chance at securing what I want later!

I always get in touch now even if it says in stock , I then order it been let down to many times and had to wait for refunds in the past

Cynical me thinks these traders don't have any intention of stocking the item,
    they will order it in when you order it from them that way they have no dead stock sitting on shelves not earning them money.

it hasn't happened to me (yet) but I would be plenty pissed off if it did.

I think some retailers just don't keep their web pages up to date. I recently ordered something secondhand and then about a week later the retailer sent me a cancelled order confirmation in the post. I think that the item had been sold a few days before I bought it. I guess at busy times they may not have the staff resources to keep updating.

Thumbs up

A friend of mine had the same thing with SMK, He bought and paid for a folding shoulder stock for a PP700, They said after he paid that they were awaiting delivery, Every date they promised came and went, Ending up he demanded a refund as he was fed up and had found it cheaper elsewhere, It's a bad practice

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Unfortunately drop shipping is common and can be a pain for the end consumer.
    Luckily in air guns the most affected are daystate buyers

Quote Originally Posted by Readingcop View Post

Regards

Chris
    Previous place I used to work for in e-commerce really annoyed me daily with stock control issues.

Many a time I would argue with the manager that false stock levels is a shocking way to treat customers especially as it was the staff getting it in the neck trying to explain to customers why something showing ‘in stock’ online at time of order was actually ‘out of stock’

I could never see the reason why they did it as it caused more issues and grief all round especially as for every 10 orders 9 of them got blooming refunded and usually straight away...the accounts department were constantly issuing refunds.

The amount of staff time it took to explain and sort the order out etc it wasn’t really cost effective anyway even if they did manage to recover a back order that staff members time could have been more productive taking genuine orders.

Sometimes the software and different selling channels could also cause stock errors though eg web shop, eblag , amazon stock etc all feeding stock levels back to the main programme if one went wrong it would knock on effect the other stock levels.

But as mentioned the deliberate ghosting of something ‘in stock’ boiled my pee though or even disabling the stock levels which were even worse as the customer didn’t know if it was either in or out of stock but always always assumed it was in stock and yet again cause more grief and aggro

If a company advertises a product that is "in stock" but isn't and they do not refund the money immediately, they are acting in a fraudulent manner by selling an item they do not possess. It will always be dressed up as a clerical, technical or administrative error, so it is almost impossible to prove otherwise. "Please allow up to three weeks for delivery" is another ploy. Monies should only be deducted on dispatch of the goods, not on receipt of an order.

Cash on delivery used to prevent this poor and questionable practice, but is considered impracticable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    If a company advertises a product that is "in stock" but isn't and they do not refund the money immediately, they are acting in a fraudulent manner by selling an item they do not possess. It will always be dressed up as a clerical, technical or administrative error, so it is almost impossible to prove otherwise. "Please allow up to three weeks for delivery" is another ploy. Monies should only be deducted on dispatch of the goods, not on receipt of an order.
    Depends what’s buried in terms and conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    Cynical me thinks these traders don't have any intention of stocking the item,
    they will order it in when you order it from them that way they have no dead stock sitting on shelves not earning them money.

it hasn't happened to me (yet) but I would be plenty pissed off if it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    I think some retailers just don't keep their web pages up to date. I recently ordered something secondhand and then about a week later the retailer sent me a cancelled order confirmation in the post. I think that the item had been sold a few days before I bought it. I guess at busy times they may not have the staff resources to keep updating.
    A bit of both I expect.
    I recently ordered a quad part, next day if Honda have one in the big EU warehouse, 10 days if it's got to come from Japan 10 days became 2 weeks, then a month - 6 weeks - then after 6 weeks the order was cancelled as the part is no longer available