I have just read a most interesting and informative article by AG Banks on air rifle shooting, written in 1940, which can be seen somewhere in the middle of this website page, from the Vintage Airgun Forum.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ated-articles/

The author denotes the different results, after extensive testing, according to varying holds with the BSA Standard and the Webley Mkll. Using the prone position, he perfects his hold, such that the butt of the rifle barely touches his shoulder. He then sits with his elbows on a table, on the ground in the sitting position and, finally, taking standing shots with his elbow on his hip. Each time the rifle rises a little and across to the right (with his BSA Standard). However, using the Webley Mkll, the point of impact falls vertically, albeit neither to the right or left. This, he attributes to the differing mechanics of the Mkll, with the barrel above the cylinder.

I wonder to what extent members here have come across similar observations with regard to various stances/holds/rifles.

I noticed, as a young teenager, that resting an air rifle on a window sill, as we all did, that the point of impact altered markedly and this informed me that the best accuracy could be obtained by sighting in a rifle via the prone position, without a rest - something I have continued to this day. Perhaps I should experiment more widely.

Rgds to all
A