Thread: Any BSA Ultra XL owners here?

Any BSA Ultra XL owners here?

Just looking for owner views on this rifle.

I know there is one thread on here where one has been returned, although it sounded like QC issues rather than the actual design of the rifle. I've found 2 other owners who seem happy with their purchase.

I've also read 3 or so positive reviews and 2 positive YouTube reviews. There is one YouTube vid of a shop not liking the rifle, but purely based on the style of the stock, not an actual test.

I know BSA bashing is thing on the UK forums. But I'm curious more from people who have actually owned or used this rifle, rather than generic opinions based on speculation.

I understand the styling might be a bit marmite, but I personally quite like the look of it.

It also seems universally accepted that the Gamo Phox is a very good, accurate and capable rifle. As is the Gamo Coyote, which is very similar to the Phox, but uses a longer barrel and cylinder. And is available in two different stocks.

As I understand it the Ultra XL uses the same action as the Phox/Coyote. And I suspect uses the same barrel and cylinder as one of them, which probably isn't that dissimilar as the barrel used on the Scorpion.

The differences I can see, the Ultra XL uses a better trigger than the Gamos and has a nicer finished stock. The safety catch is also different. RACKNLOAD on YouTube said the trigger breaks at 2lb 2oz and was a good trigger, this tallies with the other reviews.

Price wise, the Ultra XL seems to be available for slightly more money than the Gamo's and less money than the Scorpion SE.

I'm more looking at this as an alternative to the Phox/Coyote due to the pricing. It seems like it should do everything they do, but with some better bits. Rather than comparing to the Ultra SE, which has a much lower shot count.

And before anyone moans about the synthetic cheekpeice, I believe Air Arms also offer a similar wood/synthetic combo, but will want more than double the price for it.

BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

I bought mine a week before Christmas went to my local gun shop looking to buy a spring or gas ram air rifle came out with one of these. They had a package deal on gun,scope,silencer,gun bag a tin of pellets and a stirrup pump for £650. I thought it was a good deal considering that I was looking for a weihrauch.
    All I've done so far is put studs in the stock for a sling and kept it in the cabinet.Not had the time to do anything as I'm busy with work at the moment. Like you I've seen the same reviews on YouTube so hopefully all will be well!!
    I've got back into airgunning after a break for a few years due to commitments and sold up everything thinking I would never shoot again how wrong was I. The biggest mistake of my life was selling my fx cyclone. The bsa has a lot to live up to but I'm sure it will serve my well ( I hope )