Thread: Swaging primer pocket on military brass

Swaging primer pocket on military brass

How do people do it.

Borrowed a Dillon superswage and just can't seem to line the cases up correctly.

What calibre/cartridge size are you trying to swage and do you have the correct swage rod in place?
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

5.56, and yes, problem seems to be that the small shiny case stop doesn't move when I slacken the allen key off, very easy to go past horizontal or not go far enough, very frustrating when you see the speed people are using it on youtube.

I use

The RCBS primer swaging kit. Top piece of equipment.

Countersink bit in an electric screwdriver will do the job.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by zaz090363 View Post
    5.56, and yes, problem seems to be that the small shiny case stop doesn't move when I slacken the allen key off, very easy to go past horizontal or not go far enough, very frustrating when you see the speed people are using it on youtube.
    That should move. This needs adjusting to seat the case at the proper height.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

The Dillon super swage is the best solution to swaging primer pockets, i’ve done many tens of thousands over the years using different methods and nothing else compares.
    The seating bar you mention can seize up. Back off the screw and try and work it up and down till it’s free.
    Once free, only lock it back up when a case is in the swage position.
    Page 8 here http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manua...l_may_2007.pdf

If you cannot move the bar and it is too low you can always cut a block of hard plastic or foam to sit in the swagger to do the same job, even radius/slot it so the case sits better.
    Last edited by sarge4318; 22-01-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Seating bar will not raise up far enough, something temporary is a possibility, the RCBS swaging die looks a good alternative.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Ideally should not have a problem with this piece of kit. The height bar should be spring loaded, it may be stiff if it has not been moved for a while. I have done thousands of 5.56x45 with mine and had no issues. Ir recently did some 762x51 and it needed a bit of cleaning first.

I know this may not help but you might try a full strip down, clean and re-assembly. Often, where a primer is anular crimped rather than staked, you will get small slivers of brass taken off that accumulate round the mandrel and the height bar. This may have jammed it.

Great piece of kit, all the CSR bods swear by them so you should be fine

(after thought, this is definately wrong if it is a current unit. Is it possible that the space bar is handed (can go in either way up but then wont raise up enough?). I cant believe a piece of kit made in the US wont deal with one of its most popular cases).
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Ideally should not have a problem with this piece of kit. The height bar should be spring loaded, it may be stiff if it has not been moved for a while. I have done thousands of 5.56x45 with mine and had no issues. Ir recently did some 762x51 and it needed a bit of cleaning first.
    I didn't think it was spring loaded Chris, but it has been a while since I adjusted mine. In any case it should be adjustable.
    I cant believe a piece of kit made in the US wont deal with one of its most popular cases).
    They were designed primarily for military brass which is why it comes ready to swage 5.56 and 7.62 and if you want some pistol cases (in popular military flavours) done you have to buy the extra bits.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    I didn't think it was spring loaded Chris, but it has been a while since I adjusted mine. In any case it should be adjustable.

They were designed primarily for military brass which is why it comes ready to swage 5.56 and 7.62 and if you want some pistol cases (in popular military flavours) done you have to buy the extra bits.
    You are making me wonder now....I am pretty sure it is because I pushed the case down until it engaged then held it in place while I did the allen key up. I was surprised as it worked with 5.56 out of the box and had never used it with anything else until someone gave me a few thousand nickel .308 cases.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know