Thread: distorted red dot

distorted red dot

A couple of years ago I bought a red dot sight and was very disappointed with it.

It had a distorted image which almost made multiple red dots.

Anyway, I've just found out why.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPZ76OzzJ74

I hope this helps explain it to anybody else who has experienced this.
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

Yep, I found the same thing with red dots, and then saw that video a few months ago.

Although its not that straight forward getting it fixed.... I had my eyes tested after seeing that and they confirmed an astigmatism in my right (shooting) eye, and also slightly in my left eye. They said a new prescription would help... but it didn't... but they also said i had cataracts forming in my right eye, which probably makes everything worse..!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Get a 3MOA red dot from a company like Vortex and you will never look back, it's a massive difference, you can use it on spinners at 20M+ and it's great for pistol targets at 10m.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Get a 3MOA red dot from a company like Vortex and you will never look back, it's a massive difference, you can use it on spinners at 20M+ and it's great for pistol targets at 10m.

James
    It doesn't matter how good the sight is if you have an astigmatism.

I have a Burris FastFire 3 with small dot, but without my glasses on the dot looks all fuzzy. Luckily my prescription glasses are compensating for the issue and I get a clearly defined dot.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

I am on the edge of needing glasses so I may need a pair that can remedy the astigmatism too.

I would not use a red dot on a rifle but I might be able to enjoy pistol shooting with a red dot sight.

Although I doubt it would improve my accuracy with a hw45. Damn that pistol!!!
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

I was very disappointed with my red-dot and assumed it was due to the price. The 'dot' was crescent shaped and blurry.

I took some advice, turned the brightness down from 10 to 2 and the dot is now excellent.

It's only for fun shoots at the club but I'm much happier. My eyes are the problem and the adjustment was simple and free.
    Keen but clueless..

being a specs wearer the red dot and green dot is a no. the dot just reflects on the specs. several times. another thing comes to mind. street lights.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yes, it's a big problem for me also, with an astigmatysm
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Excellent thread...

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    being a specs wearer the red dot and green dot is a no. the dot just reflects on the specs. several times. another thing comes to mind. street lights.
    You just need to find the right site - both myself and the wife wear glasses and have no issue with ours in any light conditions, the thought never even occurred to me till I read your post

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired