Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: diana mod 52 puzzle

Yes ... a puzzle. More questions:

As you received the trigger 'in bits', did the rest of the rifle come to you in bits as well?
    Continuing the above, and assuming that you are not the first owner, has the rifle ever functioned correctly when in the stock?

Does the sidelever go 'back' as far as it should when in the stock? It sounds as if it is a stock problem with something preventing cocking movement. Is the abt set correctly ... worth checking just in case?
    Cheers, Phil

diana mod 52

the 52 came to me whole,just the trigger in bits,i changed the mainspring,it had a spring like you would find on a gate closure i don't know if it functioned in the stock before i got it.the side lever does go all the way back,it sets the safety,but not the trigger

Screw

So now I would cut a couple pieces of card and place them into the inlet for action by the securing screw holes. Then refit screws.just to lift it a tad in situ

Not that I can understand why some kind of contact between the action and stock would do this but it's my only suggestion.

Failing that it's bot related to the stock in letting or a point of contact that restricts the trigger engaging it must me a trigger fault I imagine.

Fine ... any chance you could try the action in a different stock? From what you say, the trigger sets out of the stock but not in it. That, to me, indicates that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the action but that the stock-action interface is somehow messing things up.
    Any chance that when in the stock the action can wobble around a bit?
    Could the trigger block end of the action be sitting too low in the stock ... the front of the action position would be determined by the stock bolt holes. Maybe try adding a spacer inside the stock (around the front action bolt that goes through the trigger guard) to separate the trigger block a little from the stock?
    Check the rh side of the stock near the abt? Any chance of interference?
    Sorry I do not have a 48/52 here to look at ....

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    So now I would cut a couple pieces of card and place them into the inlet for action by the securing screw holes. Then refit screws.just to lift it a tad in situ

Not that I can understand why some kind of contact between the action and stock would do this but it's my only suggestion.

Failing that it's bot related to the stock in letting or a point of contact that restricts the trigger engaging it must me a trigger fault I imagine.
    Yes Martin, I'm also wondering if the rear stock bolt is going in too far and stopping the trigger from working.

I have a spare 52 T01 trigger unit in my workshop I'll have a quick squint and see if that could be a possibility --- I can't remember what's above the stock bolt.

As above ... try ading a washer or two under the head of the guard bolt to effectively shorten it a bit.
    Cheers, Phil

diana mod 52

just put my diana mod34 trigger in the 52,and it worked.i noticed on the trigger casing (if that's what it's called)is a bit out of square,would that make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    just put my diana mod34 trigger in the 52,and it worked.i noticed on the trigger casing (if that's what it's called)is a bit out of square,would that make a difference?
    It depends which bit you mean.

I'm assuming its the alloy / monkey metal grey trigger box ?

There's a tab that some folk tap and bend to reduce first stage travel.
    If thats the case its probably been bent and the trigger unit adjusted to get a second stage in a different position.

This is the setting that can cause a lack of rearward travel of the trigger blade and can prevent it cocking as I stated earlier.

IF NOT SET UP PROPERLY, THE TRIGGER CAN BECOME EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. If you do just slightly adjust the trigger it may well cock but may not fire. You may possibly end up with a cocked and loaded 52. The only way to discharge the rifle will then be to remove the stock. Removing the stock could allow the rearward travel the trigger needs to fire. Be warned.
    Again my advice is to take the trigger back to factory settings.

Have a look at Tony Leach's video on the T06. He mentions bending the tab. I spoke to Tony about this and instead of bending the tab (which could fracture and will certainly never bend back without fracturing) I used an o ring around the tab to prevent the blade coming too far forward thereby reducing first stage travel.

Here's the link to Tony's trigegr adjustment video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUlAZRTtzBM
    B.A.S.C. member

Did you ever solve this? I would love to hear the cause.
    Cheers, Phil

diana mod 52

hi,no i haven't had time.the next thing i'm going to try is straightening the steei 'box' that hold the trigger parts,it's a T01 trigger