Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 1966 Original Mod 27 rear sight

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Maybe not the best advertisement for synthetic seals. Did these not tend to go a bit cheesey?
    They certainly do and I've picked up two FWB Sports on the cheap due to this very fact.

However, when fettled they are still very fine guns.

I think they have solved the degradation issues (?) on modern seals so this shouldn't happen on those guns where seals have been replaced. I've also had the backing washer on a BSA Scorpion pistol also go to mush so it would seem that there are a few manufacturers have fallen into this trap of incorrect spec plastic use.

Apologies for thread hijack. I certainly hope capitalbee get this rear sight sorted.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    They certainly do and I've picked up two FWB Sports on the cheap due to this very fact.

However, when fettled they are still very fine guns.

I think they have solved the degradation issues (?) on modern seals so this shouldn't happen on those guns where seals have been replaced. I've also had the backing washer on a BSA Scorpion pistol also go to mush so it would seem that there are a few manufacturers have fallen into this trap of incorrect spec plastic use.

Apologies for thread hijack. I certainly hope capitalbee get this rear sight sorted.

Dave
    Funnily enough, I have in the past bought FWB sports cheaply because the piston seal had failed (and crumbled into dust almost). Sight wise, I now know what I need, due to a useful Pyramidair blog and the useful vintage air arms forum from Garvin. The trouble is, they cost almost what I paid for the whole rifle . I'm torn between a full on restoration, or a spruce up and maybe fitting a vintage Weaver scope I have put by.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Funnily enough, I have in the past bought FWB sports cheaply because the piston seal had failed (and crumbled into dust almost). Sight wise, I now know what I need, due to a useful Pyramidair blog and the useful vintage air arms forum from Garvin. The trouble is, they cost almost what I paid for the whole rifle . I'm torn between a full on restoration, or a spruce up and maybe fitting a vintage Weaver scope I have put by.
    Ouch!!!

I know its nice to keep things all to spec and original but at that price I.think I'd be going the scope route. Unless by some miracle you find someone on.here who has one spare.
    Good luck whichever way you go with that one. Its good to see some of these old classics still going strong!
    Dave