Thread: Hw80 piston choices

Question Hw80 piston choices

Just wondering if or what 25mm piston will fit in my reduced cylinder 80.... I have an lgv one in my 0.177 but was thinking do I need a rotary piston or not....thoughts ladies and gents

Also have a tx200 piston but that's in my 52
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    Just wondering if or what 25mm piston will fit in my reduced cylinder 80.... I have an lgv one in my 0.177 but was thinking do I need a rotary piston or not....thoughts ladies and gents

Also have a tx200 piston but that's in my 52
    Ah well, Jonathan.

I prefer the 10mm rod fixing arrangement of the TX but prefer the piston body of the LGV as you get a larger choice of piston seals.

I also prefer the rear tit on the LGV piston rod as I find it works better with a modified Rekord top sear.

I'm wondering now if you could tap out the end of an LGV piston to 10mm and then use a custom made TX rod in it ? --- in this way you could have a piston able to take a Weihrauch piston seal with the easily changeable stroke of the TX.
    Last edited by T 20; 16-01-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    or just machine off the tx piston nose and fit an ally hw seal adapter, the rods screwing thru both to hold in place..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    or just machine off the tx piston nose and fit an ally hw seal adapter, the rods screwing thru both to hold in place..
    There is that Jon, as Wonky Donky does, but threading the LGV body at 10mm would give just a two piece piston.

The TX rod is too big for a standard HW80 guide, if that matters. I had a spare Lazer guide from my HW80 and it fit my TX spring just perfectly. I then realized the TX piston rod would go into the guide. Lazer was a tune job done by Doc Beeman's shop, back in the day.

Thumbs up

That's the one in the 52
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    The TX rod is too big for a standard HW80 guide, if that matters. I had a spare Lazer guide from my HW80 and it fit my TX spring just perfectly. I then realized the TX piston rod would go into the guide. Lazer was a tune job done by Doc Beeman's shop, back in the day.
    yeah, you need to open HW guides up from about 9.8 to 10.2mm
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

yeah, you need to open HW guides up from about 9.8 to 10.2mm
    Strangely, some HW guides drop straight on a TX rod, Jon.

I only know this as UKNeil gave me a huge box full of springs and guides when he retired from full time airgun tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Strangely, some HW guides drop straight on a TX rod, Jon.
    Mine have always been a smite too tight... then again, Neil could have sneakily machined them just to confuse us...