Thread: Pistol grip and locked wrist position

Pistol grip and locked wrist position

Hi all
    Whilst I am about to start modifying my pistol grip, i have suddenly realised that after 2 years shooting it I have never really found a good hold, regardless of my dominant left eye/RH grip issue, and now that I'm playing around with the bluetak , I'm not sure on what basic position the grip should be on the pistol. My only real resource has been the Tenrings website which is useful, but a key issue I'm struggling with is my wrist position. The tenrings site talks about ensuring wrist and elbow are locked. Im fine with my elbow but don't really understand how you lock your wrist.
    I've tried both extremes of the grip on the pistol ( i.e. Steyr front adjustment screws up vs back adjustment screws up-either tilting the barrel up or down and hence wrist up or down when barrel is level), but neither seems to create a feeling of a locked wrist.
    So, what is a locked wrist and how do you know you have achieved one?
    Regards
    Andy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

My understanding of a locked wrist is when it is tilted as far down as it will go, so it is one less variable to control during the shot routine.
    When I switch from my modern PCP back to my FWB 65, I find I am consciously having to think about my wrist angle.
    Hope this makes sense and helps!

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Hold your arm out without your pistol and rotate your arm 90 degrees as if to hold the pistol, your wrist is in a neutral position and it is possible to tension up and hold this, Yes you can force it up and force it down but the normal hold in that natural neutral position. The wrist is a clever joint using lots of bones that slide over each other so locking like the elbow is not going to happen.

Thanks for your replies , I think I will have some time tomorrow to compare a neutral position vs the wrist down and see how I get on😀
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Lundy,

If you can get hold of a copy, there is some very good stuff about this in Alexander Yur'Yev's book 'Competitive Shooting'.

There is a 'fully down' wrist/hand position, and an 'equilibrium' wrist/hand position - it is the equilibrium position that is used.

They used electro-mylogram's to find what position gave the least muscle activity.

Please try it - hold arm out with wrist straight, then drop wrist into comfortable position (equilibrium) - it will go there almost 'automatically'.

You can then drop the wrist slightly further down ('fully down'), but you will consciously have to do this.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Lundy,

If you can get hold of a copy, there is some very good stuff about this in Alexander Yur'Yev's book 'Competitive Shooting'.

There is a 'fully down' wrist/hand position, and an 'equilibrium' wrist/hand position - it is the equilibrium position that is used.

They used electro-mylogram's to find what position gave the least muscle activity.

Please try it - hold arm out with wrist straight, then drop wrist into comfortable position (equilibrium) - it will go there almost 'automatically'.

You can then drop the wrist slightly further down ('fully down'), but you will consciously have to do this.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    That's brilliant, I'll try that too. I think I may be "actively using " my wrist.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Locked?

Although used and understood by experienced pistol shooters, I think the word "locked" like many expressions in shooting is the wrong word implying a physical action of "locking", that is not so, its where the wrist goes naturally when relaxed, hold and "aim" with no pistol, let the wrist drop into a relaxed position, the neutral as described in posts above, then adjust your pistol grip (if you can) into that position with the sight picture visible.
    Most modern pistols will allow this with adjustments, the older ones won't, keeping the wrist held up. When I shot competitively I would cut the grip web as deep as possible on my pistol grips to achieve that, or as close as I could get.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?