Thread: Webley Supertarget chopping pellets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Good work
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Interesting; it seems you have cracked it.

However, the tolerances on these fittings are very fine. Whilst the rifle is now firing, is it firing accurately and producing groups? Or is the pellet still slightly veering to one side on entry? It is strange that the tap has become worn and I was unaware that by tightening, the tap could be moved. That in turn suggests care must be taken when tightening the tap screw but what is the reference point by which to determine the tightness?!

I don't know how the pellet moves/jumps, in travel, from the tap to the barrel. Thus, is the start of the barrel rather larger and does it then taper inwards, so as to guide the pellet during its flight? Certainly, the tap itself is very slightly tapered inwards at the bottom.

Rgds
    A

Is it a tapered tap or not?
    /In case of Osprey ST: Dunno when they started making the ST but iirc early Ospreys didnt have tapered taps giving problems with pellets.
    Webley fixed this by fitting a tapered tap.
    In case of tapered tap; make sure its on the right way around. It can be fitted either way.
    The wrong way and the pellet will stick out on top (wont fall deep enough)

Edit: see you fixed the problem. Nice work
    ATB,
    yana

Groups

It’s shooting decent groups,I’m using a PH16m rear sight but a Ruger Front sight which I’ve adapted to fit the barrel,It’s got a Bead Barlycorn type not unlike an old Bsa,But Just managed to find a PH Matchmaker that fits the Dovetail. Hopefully it won’t be too high as the Ruger is slightly taller.Even Managed to find a couple of Diopter Holders. (Protek)
    Thanks for the ideas guys
    Atb pete.

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    It’s shooting decent groups,I’m using a PH16m rear sight but a Ruger Front sight which I’ve adapted to fit the barrel,It’s got a Bead Barlycorn type not unlike an old Bsa,But Just managed to find a PH Matchmaker that fits the Dovetail. Hopefully it won’t be too high as the Ruger is slightly taller.Even Managed to find a couple of Diopter Holders. (Protek)
    Thanks for the ideas guys
    Atb pete.
    You were fortunate to solve the problem, I think.

What is a PH16m rear sight? Are you fitting a peep sight where the telescopic sight would otherwise be fitted, ie on the ramp? I did this with a Webley Omega (the peep sight also obtained from Protek) - which has a rather more solid ramp - to great effect. The Mk3 has quite a kick, relatively, so you might get movement on the sight.

A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    You were fortunate to solve the problem, I think.

What is a PH16m rear sight? Are you fitting a peep sight where the telescopic sight would otherwise be fitted, ie on the ramp? I did this with a Webley Omega (the peep sight also obtained from Protek) - which has a rather more solid ramp - to great effect. The Mk3 has quite a kick, relatively, so you might get movement on the sight.

A
    The PH16 is a Parker-Hale aperture sight that mounts solidly to the rear of the cylinder because the cylinder is drilled and tapped and the sight screws on with two bolts, making it rock-solid, but expensive to fit. So the vast majority of MkIIIs have the standard sights. It was offered by Webley as a factory option.

The aperture can also be swung out of the line of sight, allowing the open rear sight to still be used. The idea being that you could set the open for short range, say rats, and the aperture for long, say, rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The PH16 is a Parker-Hale aperture sight that mounts solidly to the rear of the cylinder because the cylinder is drilled and tapped and the sight screws on with two bolts, making it rock-solid, but expensive to fit. So the vast majority of MkIIIs have the standard sights. It was offered by Webley as a factory option.

The aperture can also be swung out of the line of sight, allowing the open rear sight to still be used. The idea being that you could set the open for short range, say rats, and the aperture for long, say, rabbits.
    Thanks for that, Geezer. I am now better informed! Would be interested to try out that combination but would need someone to fit the PH site. Perhaps Protek has the means to do this.

A