Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
Every calibre is a compromise at sub-12 because the power has a fixed limit.
so you can either have fast & flat but limited stopping power due to weight & frontal area,
or much more "thump" from weight & size of projectile but a slower pellet which some prey will see coming and a loopy trajectory which can hit twigs/leaves on route.

.20 is the Best compromise for hunting given the power limit as a fixed control, because it is never the worst performer which either .177 or .22 will be at some point.
.20 allows you to do everything in 1 gun and 1 pellet which is a massive advantage in sub 12 hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
.20 is a compromise cal.
Better ballistics than a .177 subject to grain weight and style but the bottom line is and always will be a limited pool within which to find the right brand, grain and head size.
Now if your barrel isn't pellet fussy - and say 4.52 V's 4,53 in .177 can produce a HUGE variation in grouping then crack on.
If it is pellet fussy then have fun.
Unless you are looking at very close barn work or quarry where a .177 will drill at close range like pigeons and rats, then there isn't really a huge advantage in going anything other than .177 in sub 12FPE as I see it. If I am in a drill through position, I just with to HP soft lead ammo.
But the beauty is if you feel different then you have options.
.177 & .22 are the main stay of pellet calibres, anything else and your pool shrinks.
If you are buying 2nd hand, it is likely the previous owner has done some testing - and if they can remember, then you may save yourself a lot of ball ache.
If not....you will have to accept your making an educated decision/guess.
A compromise is just that. A compromise. It isn't the best. It isn't the worst depending on what criteria you apply to each of those generic definitions
Totally agree here, .177 is the most extreme compromise of pellet size and weight as .25 is the most extreme compromise of trajectory. .20 is a massive comprise in pellet choice, and to be honest if jsb brought out an 'rs' of the .20 exact which came in at 10.5-11grn and had a few head size choices I think everyone would consider a .20 as the stable hunting calibre in sub 12 uk as pellet choice is it's only disadvantage. It's all just you look at it and what you want for your application. .20 was the best thing I ever did, coupled with a 3-15 scope I now only need 1 PCP 1 pellet and no time thinking about it, the "beware the man with one gun" theory is already showing its benefits. It's much more confidence inspiring in every situation especially when bashing a crow at 35yrds then shooting a rat at 10yrds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
I could agree with you....but then we would both be wrong 😎😎😎
Or you could agree with him and both be right your pride might hurt though