Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .20 cal pellets

.20 cal pellets

was thinking of trying this calibre,thing is not much choice in the way of pellets,especially lighter ones.looking around on the net i can only find 5 brands.is that about it for choice

There may only be a few but they're all quality pellets.
    Loads of .177/.22 are utter sh**

limited choice though to get one to suit a barrel

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    limited choice though to get one to suit a barrel
    Limited though they may be, but as was said the quality is superb. No issues with different batch numbers as others have.
    My 80 in .20 loves the Bisley Super Fields which now seem to be out of production so looking at H&N FTT or Daystate Rangemaster Kaisers to match the same weight but I'll cross that hurdle in about a year's time when I run out of BSFs.

Atb
    Ed

Think I have a little shy of 5000 .20 Crossnam Accupell around somewhere
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

.20 is a compromise cal.
    Better ballistics than a .177 subject to grain weight and style but the bottom line is and always will be a limited pool within which to find the right brand, grain and head size.
    Now if your barrel isn't pellet fussy - and say 4.52 V's 4,53 in .177 can produce a HUGE variation in grouping then crack on.
    If it is pellet fussy then have fun.
    Unless you are looking at very close barn work or quarry where a .177 will drill at close range like pigeons and rats, then there isn't really a huge advantage in going anything other than .177 in sub 12FPE as I see it. If I am in a drill through position, I just with to HP soft lead ammo.
    But the beauty is if you feel different then you have options.
    .177 & .22 are the main stay of pellet calibres, anything else and your pool shrinks.
    If you are buying 2nd hand, it is likely the previous owner has done some testing - and if they can remember, then you may save yourself a lot of ball ache.
    If not....you will have to accept your making an educated decision/guess.
    A compromise is just that. A compromise. It isn't the best. It isn't the worst depending on what criteria you apply to each of those generic definitions
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I have a hw100kt laminate in .20 and love it, yes pellet choice is limited but whats out there are good. Mine loves daystate kaisers but i could use h and n ftt if i had too. Also loves superfields, but as already said, not made anymore. Try pellet perfect for a range of sample packs, there are more .20 out there than you think. Most people regardless of calibre use a jsb or h and n derivative anyway. Thats what most .20 cal pellets are. I personally think for sub 12 hunting its the best calibre. I also shoot .177, have a gsx 600 in that. .22 i have a rapid mfr. love all 3. But if going hunting, its the .20 i reach for, everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    .20 is a compromise cal.
    Better ballistics than a .177 subject to grain weight and style but the bottom line is and always will be a limited pool within which to find the right brand, grain and head size.
    Now if your barrel isn't pellet fussy - and say 4.52 V's 4,53 in .177 can produce a HUGE variation in grouping then crack on.
    Unless you are looking at very close barn work or quarry where a .177 will drill at close range like pigeons and rats, then there isn't really a huge advantage in going anything other than .177 in sub 12FPE as I see it. If I am in a drill through position, I just with to HP soft lead ammo.
    .177 & .22 are the main stay of pellet calibres, anything else and your pool shrinks.
    If you are buying 2nd hand, it is likely the previous owner has done some testing - and if they can remember, then you may save yourself a lot of ball ache.
    A compromise is just that. A compromise. It isn't the best. It isn't the worst depending on what criteria you apply to each of those generic definitions
    Every calibre is a compromise at sub-12 because the power has a fixed limit.
    so you can either have fast & flat but limited stopping power due to weight & frontal area,
    or much more "thump" from weight & size of projectile but a slower pellet which some prey will see coming and a loopy trajectory which can hit twigs/leaves on route.

.20 is the Best compromise for hunting given the power limit as a fixed control, because it is never the worst performer which either .177 or .22 will be at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Limited though they may be, but as was said the quality is superb. No issues with different batch numbers as others have.
    My 80 in .20 loves the Bisley Super Fields which now seem to be out of production so looking at H&N FTT or Daystate Rangemaster Kaisers to match the same weight but I'll cross that hurdle in about a year's time when I run out of BSFs.

Atb
    Ed
    Less demand equates to fewer dyes used, good for pellet manufacturing consistency

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    so you can either have fast & flat but limited stopping power due to weight & frontal area,
    or much more "thump" from weight & size of projectile but a slower pellet which some prey will see coming and a loopy trajectory which can hit twigs/leaves on route.

.20 is the Best compromise for hunting given the power limit as a fixed control, because it is never the worst performer which either .177 or .22 will be at some point.
    I could agree with you....but then we would both be wrong 😎😎😎
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

This is a non-issue.

Set aside the calibre controversy.

There are only half a dozen brands of .20” pellet, but they are all very good. It is, IMHO (only owned 3 .20” s) rare to find a .20” that does not do well with more than one of them.

Sure, there are 100 kinds of .177”, and that may give you an apparent better selection, but many of the 100 are “Polymer Tip Pointed Ninja Killer Zombie Destroyer Super Death” pellets or bargain basement diabolos that are all utter sh1te.

In .177” and .22” there are about half a dozen pellets that almost always work best. Guess what, they are available in .20” too.

Personally, I still use Crosman Premiers. Discontinued a few years ago, but I have a few thousand of them from when they were discontinued and discounted. Same weight as .22’, but better BC/SD. You might still find some in your friendly local gun shop.

I loved my falcon in 20

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

.20 allows you to do everything in 1 gun and 1 pellet which is a massive advantage in sub 12 hunting.

.20 is a compromise cal.
    Totally agree here, .177 is the most extreme compromise of pellet size and weight as .25 is the most extreme compromise of trajectory. .20 is a massive comprise in pellet choice, and to be honest if jsb brought out an 'rs' of the .20 exact which came in at 10.5-11grn and had a few head size choices I think everyone would consider a .20 as the stable hunting calibre in sub 12 uk as pellet choice is it's only disadvantage. It's all just you look at it and what you want for your application. .20 was the best thing I ever did, coupled with a 3-15 scope I now only need 1 PCP 1 pellet and no time thinking about it, the "beware the man with one gun" theory is already showing its benefits. It's much more confidence inspiring in every situation especially when bashing a crow at 35yrds then shooting a rat at 10yrds.

I could agree with you....but then we would both be wrong 😎😎😎
    Or you could agree with him and both be right your pride might hurt though
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

That's it. I need a .20 now, as it will be the only gun I'll ever need.

To go with the others!

I have quite a bit of experience with .20 at legal limit and FAC power levels. Although it is true to say that there aren't many pellet types to choose from you would be exceptionally unlucky not to find one to suit your gun. My starting point is to use FTT at legal limit and JSB 13.7 grain at FAC levels. That usually works although things can work out perversely as my .20 Rapid legal limit definitely prefers JSB. OK they are heavier but that is easy to use-you just aim higher!! Whereas the FTT would requitre 2 mildots of elevation at 55 yards on my club range, the JSB needs 3. The advantage with the heavier pellet is that it is less affected by wind. My .20 springers prefer FTT. At FAC levels (a Rapid at 24 ft lb) I actually use Crosman Premier for no better reason than I inherited a load of them.The JSB is just as good.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.