Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosmetic scope repairs

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom

Cosmetic scope repairs

No doubt most of us have the odd scope with a couple of slight cosmetic marks which do nothing to the performance of the scope but give it that used look, especially if it has a visible scratch or wear round the adjustment knobs?

Has anyone found a way/kit/business that can cost effectively remove/cover/deal with these marks?

Most scopes are the usual matt black finish, but I appreciate there are other finishes out there as well.

Thanks

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    No doubt most of us have the odd scope with a couple of slight cosmetic marks which do nothing to the performance of the scope but give it that used look, especially if it has a visible scratch or wear round the adjustment knobs?

Has anyone found a way/kit/business that can cost effectively remove/cover/deal with these marks?

Most scopes are the usual matt black finish, but I appreciate there are other finishes out there as well.

Thanks

James
    Be interesting to see what comes back
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Dippy ?

Hydrodip...any colour you like

https://goo.gl/photos/mRWYgSaxjxneKJfy5
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    Hydrodip...any colour you like

https://goo.gl/photos/mRWYgSaxjxneKJfy5
    It's certainly an option, but not one I had considered

There must be loads of us with this problem - Matt Black paint from Halfords has been whispered in my ear, any one else tried it?

Has anyone asked a manufacturer for a price/fix?

James

I have not used it myself but have a look at this stuff.

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/categ...irsoft-krylon/

Then have a look at this thread regarding truck bed liner paint, although you may have to join to view it.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thes...iner-t674.html

hth.

Birchwood casey do gloss and Matt touch up pens for a tenner each roughly. I had been considering a couple of these for covering scratches on scopes specifically. Sorry.. I never tried them so I can't comment further
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Birchwood casey do gloss and Matt touch up pens for a tenner each roughly. I had been considering a couple of these for covering scratches on scopes specifically. Sorry.. I never tried them so I can't comment further
    I use these , they do a ok job

Mike

I left a cheapo scope in the loft under a velux window in the best summer in decades.....
    it now looks gold plated in some places!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That Krylon looks usuable

I hope you have better luck than me ... In the past I have tried various methods of eliminating scratches in a surface finish. Generally speaking non have done a very good job and the 'applied solution' was more noticeable than the original scratch.
    But if you find a good solution I would love to hear about it ...

Cheers, Phil

Avoid hydrodip. Not worth it for a cheap scope, and too risky for an expensive one.

Thanks guys, we need a guinea pig - anyone out there with a cosmetically challenged scope they don't mind wrecking if things go wrong The couple I would use it on are too expensive and not poorly enough tarnished to risk the suggestions so far, you would think this could be a good niche market for someone at £15/20 a go plus postage?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    you would think this could be a good niche market for someone at £15/20 a go plus postage?
    Assuming someone comes up with something that works
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Simonize "Tough Black" satin black paint is a nice finish, or Hermetite "Pot Black" motorcycle engine paint, (if you can find it) is another semi gloss finish.
    Letra-set decals for the numbers.

Jesim £15/£20 would barely cover materials never mind the time rubbing down, masking, spraying & finishing, that's the problem it would have to cost £75+ to be worthwhile.
    That's why it's a DIY job.
    Last edited by angrybear; 19-01-2019 at 11:07 AM.

the "black" on scopes, air cylinders, rifle actions all vary in shades and texture with different manufacturers and its very difficult finding the right shade of "black" - the birchwood casey pens in gloss isn't too bad a match for the edguns I find. would be great if each manufacturer would sell touch up paint like you see with car paint. To the OP - minor crimp marks aren't too bad if the scope is mounted as then you can't see them but elsewhere could be annoying if you have ocd like me...

Krylon flat black camo paint was excellent but I think nolonger available.