Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bikes & Rifles..

Bikes & Rifles..

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Right, I'm now the proud owner of a lovely shiny old motorcycle and I want to take my nice new to me bike to the bash as it's a brilliant excuse to have a nice long run. My question is is it:

A: legal to carry my 77 on a motorcyclebikmotorcycle

And B: how do I carry my full length 77 on my motorcycle..

Both interesting question which would be great to solve as mixing my two favourite Hobies together would be great

Thanks all in advance for your input!
    Rhys
    I personally wouldn't try it with a long heavy gun like a '77, it's the getting on & off & petrol stations reactions thats the worst bits, carrying it on the bike isn't so bad. But what I would do is fill up that vfr of yours with fresh petrol & add a dose of redex for the first half a dozen fills to clean the fuel system out. Modern unleaded goes off after a month or 2 unless you add fuel stabiliser to it, it also leaves deposits in carbs or injection systems.I sorted out my sv650 rough running with this method when I first got it a couple of years ago & after every time i dont ride it for over a month. Right, now back to my fave film, the original bedazzled with peter cook & dudley moore.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Dangerous looking thing.

HTH
    Sounds almost like your Subaru Phil.... Well at least until the suspension rusted through
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

expect some unwanted attention from the boys in blue.legal or not
    had one spin round and fast and was hard up my arse for a good couple of mins till the anpr/pnc info came through then he was away
    with firearms markers and for being an ''international arms dealer'' on record i was surprised i wasnt pulled....but thats another story.
    lol

Bought a mk1 hw80 from shooting supplies in bromsgrove a while back, Anyhow paid over the phone and the gun was kept for me to pick it up when I was ready, Decided to go on the bike as the weather was lovely , Took a new rifle shoulder case with me but I also took some additional straps , gaffa tape, The one with the nylon in and some other tapes , string etc incase needed, The rifle slip was quite a sturdy one so I decided to use that alone as my plan was only travel within the speed limits, The gun on times more so in the crosswinds seemed to be getting thrown about a bit, I was still on the m5 when I decided to check the gun in the case , Anyhow pulled over only to find in my horror that the stitching in the zip had started to break away from the case and zip in about 4 different places , I recon another couple of miles and the gun would have broke away from the case, I had to make another strap and basically wrapped the gun in it case like a mummy with the gaffa tape that I had, If carrying gun in a case I would well wrap it with extra reinforcement and some electrical ties to make sure , I had about a 2 hour ride which I suppose was pushing it a bit.

You could always get a A/A TDR the old S410 version not the new fangled S510

Take ye van mate
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I often rode my old R90S with my 97 on it, and once or twice with he 95 as well, by strapping them (in bags) across the panniers - you just have to remember you are a bit wider than usual. I did try back pack type bags, but found them very wearying and uncomfortable. To fill up, you have to find a pay at pump station.

Mmmm...If a BSA air rifle and an old BSA motorcycle; with that combination you will be immune from anything other than a meteor strike (no not a BSA Meteor of course). You are automatically protected and will be safe....Ditch the 77.

Whenever I've carried a gun on a bike, it's just been strapped from the rear carrier to the rear footpeg - semi hidden if a set of panniers are thrown over as well

I just use my normal gun case with a shoulder strap on the bike. It sits fairly low and its comfortable, plus its square so its not obviously a rifle. You need to watch out if you are filtering through stationary traffic though. Hard cases with mounting hardware exist for quads, the case is lockable, hinges open and stays on the vehicle when you pull the rifle out, but the brackets are under the case rather than on the side of it, you would need a custom frame to mount it to a pannier frame on a solo motorcycle like that Armstrong that was shown in an earlier picture. I find the backpack style cases uncomfortable on the bike because you are sitting the case makes it awkward to turn your head, a single shoulder strap worn across the body interferes less. People always take the p*ss when I arrive at a clay pigeon shoot on the bike though, I guess that won't change soon. I used to own an S410 TDR and as mentioned earlier the case with the eyes on it for mounting straps is almost perfect for bungeeing to a standard motorcycle rack.

If you have a single strap gun bag and want to wear it, put it diagonally across your back and then put a rucksack over it. This will hold ot securely against your body and let you carry the extra bag. It might be an idea to put some gaffa tape over the end pointing at the ground, just in case it touches down when cornering. Done this for years on bikes.

Thumbs up petrol secret

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I personally wouldn't try it with a long heavy gun like a '77, it's the getting on & off & petrol stations reactions thats the worst bits, carrying it on the bike isn't so bad. But what I would do is fill up that vfr of yours with fresh petrol & add a dose of redex for the first half a dozen fills to clean the fuel system out. Modern unleaded goes off after a month or 2 unless you add fuel stabiliser to it, it also leaves deposits in carbs or injection systems.I sorted out my sv650 rough running with this method when I first got it a couple of years ago & after every time i dont ride it for over a month. Right, now back to my fave film, the original bedazzled with peter cook & dudley moore.......

Ethanol is the killer in all older 2 & 4 stroke engines with rubber fuel lines and seals etc, this is the only fuel in the uk with No ethanol! Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

not a lot of people know this!

I used to carry my Lee Enfield in a rifle slip on my motorcycle. Never had any issues with it.