Thread: Loss of power after barrel clean?!

Loss of power after barrel clean?!

Good evening everyone,

Recently had my BSA Superten carbine stage 2 blueprinted by JB as its been sat in the cupboard for a few years unused. I Chrono'd it when i got it back and it was running around 11.25 ft/lbs with AA field 16grn. Thought id clean the barrel and iv run about 50 pellets through it and the power is now consistently running at 10.5 ft/lbs. Has anyone noticed a power drop after a barrel clean before its fully leaded up again? 10.5 ft/lbs is quite ample for me, just strange its dropped a bit.

Thanks for reading!

Tom.
    BSA JB Superten carbine MK2 action in MK3 stock done in realtree hardwoods by hydrographics.
    BSA Ultra CLX first edition SN181

Quote Originally Posted by roster11 View Post
    Good evening everyone,

Recently had my BSA Superten carbine stage 2 blueprinted by JB as its been sat in the cupboard for a few years unused. I Chrono'd it when i got it back and it was running around 11.25 ft/lbs with AA field 16grn. Thought id clean the barrel and iv run about 50 pellets through it and the power is now consistently running at 10.5 ft/lbs. Has anyone noticed a power drop after a barrel clean before its fully leaded up again? 10.5 ft/lbs is quite ample for me, just strange its dropped a bit.

Thanks for reading!

Tom.
    It happens often Tom

Don't worry , stick some lead through , it'll come back .

Yep..

Seen on all the barrels I have ever owned, the only difference being in how long they take to lead up.

Could it be these drastic changes in velocity are the reason for the inaccuracy after cleaning, maybe changes in harmonics ?

See here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....after-cleaning
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Cheers guys,

Had a thought earlier after I posted. Maybe a combo of the Baltic weather and the clean barrel would have caused the drop in power. May re-chrono tomorrow in the house and see if it improves.
    BSA JB Superten carbine MK2 action in MK3 stock done in realtree hardwoods by hydrographics.

I'd think it more likely to be the "sat in the cupboard for a few years unused" that's responsible for the power drop, than cleaning the barrel .

Guess you didn't read the full post bear.

Sorry bear got that wrong, you didn't read the first two lines never mind the full post 😂😂

Got to agree with the bear, reading your post suggest you chronod it a couple of years back, stuck it in a cupboard until you cleaned the barrel, took some shots and chronod it again very recently?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Recently had it blueprinted by JB as it's been sat In the cupboard unused. Meaning it's been blueprinted after its hibernation. Crystal lads.

Well it is now
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

If you leave a S10 stored away for a few years the chances it will fire at 10.5 straight out of the bag are slim to non. The verdigris build up would be deep into the internals.

Loss of power after barrel clean?!

If you leave a S10 stored away for a few years the chances it will fire at 10.5 straight out of the bag are slim to non. The verdigris build up would be deep into the internals.
    That's exactly why my sons R10 has just gone back to JB.....

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Got to agree with the bear, reading your post suggest you chronod it a couple of years back, stuck it in a cupboard until you cleaned the barrel, took some shots and chronod it again very recently?
    Recently had it blueprinted by JB as it's been sat In the cupboard unused. Meaning it's been blueprinted after its hibernation. Crystal lads.
    As per Mr plinker, I read it as it was blueprinted then put away, and recently brought out of the cupboard, now you've explained it I read it the way you say.
    When you know what you're trying to say it's obvious, but if like me you didn't know it can be interpreted in either way.

Update: Just put 10 shots through the chrono in a more ambient temperature and saw a massive improvement. The mean Fps being 562 with a standard deviation of 4 Fps (JB really does make these rifles go up another level). That equates to a
    mean of 11.24 ft/lbs with AA field 16grn.

I will rarely be shooting at -2C (temp i chrono'd at last night) but its good to know that even in the extremes I lose less than 1ft/lb of energy. Forever learning aren't we!