Thread: A Valuation,Please.

A Valuation,Please.

I would like an attempt at a valuation for a friends straight grip Webley MK1,unfortunately there will be no pictures,so ball park estimates will be fine.

The calibre is .177 and the serial number is 37602.The condition of the frame is fairly good with no rust or pitting all the markings are crisp and clearly legible and about 70-75% of the original bluing remains.

The barrel has not survived quite as well and on the right hand side there are some rust marks that when cleaned will certainly result in pitting.The left hand side of the barrel is free from rust and around 40% of the original bluing of the barrel remains overall.

The pistol shoots well is mechanically sound and the safety functions without issue.The wooden grips are in good overall original condition with some light denting in places and the medallion is still in place.All screw heads are in good undamaged condition throughout the gun,by the way.

The patent etchings on the left hand side of the cylinder are for the,UK,Belgium,France,USA and Canada all dated 1925.

Thanks in advance.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Without photos, a pin-point accurate price range is virtually impossible, but I just yesterday sold a truly lovely condition pre-war slant-grip MK.I in .22 for £125, so as slant-grip and straight-grip pre-war Mk.I Webley air pistols have parable value, take a gander at my advert on here in the sales section, judge the condition of your friend's against mine accordingly, and have a best guess at arriving at a price. Hope this helps.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Without photos, a pin-point accurate price range is virtually impossible, but I just yesterday sold a truly lovely condition pre-war slant-grip MK.I in .22 for £125, so as slant-grip and straight-grip pre-war Mk.I Webley air pistols have parable value, take a gander at my advert on here in the sales section, judge the condition of your friend's against mine accordingly, and have a best guess at arriving at a price. Hope this helps.

Thanks Gareth,if as you say the two models have parable value then my friends is probably worth in the 80 pounds range,but I thought straight grip MK1's sold for a higher price typically than the later slant grip MK1's?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

Thanks Gareth,if as you say the two models have parable value then my friends is probably worth in the 80 pounds range,but I thought straight grip MK1's sold for a higher price typically than the later slant grip MK1's?
    You'd think so, wouldn't you, but my experience buying and selling a few of each over the decades, is that the mere fact that they are pre-war seems to give them parity of value. Post war slant-grip MK.I pistol values nose dive in comparison, however, so maybe that is what has thrown the curve ball you may have been thinking of? Atb: Gareth.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi,
    s.n 37602 should be a sixth series mk1, by then they had access to the air cylinder at both ends.
    (tiny join visible between the endcap and the muzzle end of the cylinder) so I think it’s a slightly later version of the pre war mk1, but I might be wrong.
    Is the large screw slot on the rear of the cylinder chewed up at all? This can lower the price of an otherwise nice example.

They go from anything from £100-£290 depending wholly on condition, how early they are and if it has an original box.
    Condition really is in the eye of the beholder but a later one with rust spots on the barrel and worn patches on the rest of the gun would probably be low 100’s, unless the later ones are particularly rare.
    Gareth’s pre war mk1 slant grip was in excellent condition btw.

Impossible to say without pictures, and you’d definitely need pictures to sell it online.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Thanks Matt. It nearly went home with you on Thursday, didn't it (lol). Genuinely glad you took my Service Rifle matey, as it is great to know it will continue to be regularly used. Atb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,
    s.n 37602 should be a sixth series mk1, by then they had access to the air cylinder at both ends.
    (tiny join visible between the endcap and the muzzle end of the cylinder) so I think it’s a slightly later version of the pre war mk1, but I might be wrong.
    Is the large screw slot on the rear of the cylinder chewed up at all? This can lower the price of an otherwise nice example.

They go from anything from £100-£290 depending wholly on condition, how early they are and if it has an original box.
    Condition really is in the eye of the beholder but a later one with rust spots on the barrel and worn patches on the rest of the gun would probably be low 100’s, unless the later ones are particularly rare.

Impossible to say without pictures, and you’d definitely need pictures to sell it online.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Thanks Matt,the end cap of the cylinder is nor chewed up and the gun does on this one open at the muzzle end.There is no box,by the way.

ATB.