Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who loves there relum

who loves there relum

the is a lot out there who look down on the relum bit of a joke me my telly is a gem I have had one from a young age never let me down god knows how many pellets I have shot with it was it Andrew Arthur who in the early days of airgun world use one jim taylor had one to put a lot of work in to mine easy to shoot and more accurate then some of the guns of the same time own up then who feels the same about there relum

who loves there relum

My brother had a telly break barrel in the late 70;s, he'd crammed an airsporter spring in it & was a brilliant shot with the crude open sights, I saw him shoot 3 housesparrows in a row from the top of a 50ft cliff & didn't quite beleve it untill we walked up to the top & found them. But the tornado well deserves the nickname "swamp donkey".

"Advance friend, and be recognised!"

Relum Love

�� ok I admit it, I like em, for the same reason I like Russian tanks! Solid but crude, ugly but functional, underrated but still around. I've got a few old air rifles, some are worse than Relums, but are considered collectors items now.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Me.
    Got my Relum Taurus at 14.
    Still got it at 50!

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Me.
    Got my Relum Taurus at 14.
    Still got it at 50!
    I'm around your age and bought Super Tornado in my teens and still have it.
    Great name for an airgun bit like Stingray,Eclispe,707,Puncher Breaker,Ultra,Vulcan and Dragon.

Iam a big relum fan they are underated but I've always found them accurate and reliable the early break barrel telly's were powerfull 11ftb + they were often more powerfull than the more exotic guns of the time.

Dave.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Having worked on a few they are a mix of good quality & poor quality, If you compare a late 70's Telly,Taurus or Tornado to a BSA of the time they were actually better made, cylinders were better steel with solid breech jaws with proper screws & keeper screws, Barrels could be anywhere from average to very good indeed.
    They fell down with awful quality triggers like gin traps & the piston with its riveted on leather head that went loose was guaranteed to leak air backwards.
    The .22 taurus we rescued from the bilge of a half sunk abandoned yacht long ago was horribly rusty but its barrel is so beautifully rifled it is hard to believe it was a cheap rifle, it is really high quality.

My first air rifle back in 1989 was a Relum Tornado and I thought it was the buisness, although I really lusted after a Sussex Armoury Jackal
    I don't remember being able to hit much with my Tornado though.......

I wonder how you'd tune them up a bit while keeping them as original as possible?

It'd be great to drop a few targets at the vintage hft comp with one.

Matt.

not on my own then

A second hand Relum Tornado was my first air rifle back in 1967 so it couldn’t have been all that old at the time. I used to take great delight in sticking some 3in1 oil down the turret to deliberately make it diesel... jeez it would go off with a fair old bang, although not doing it much good I imagine. They used to be featured in most of the mail order catalogues at the time, Kay and Co, Empire Stores etc and to impressionable teenagers like me they certainly looked the Muttz Nutz!

I remember going into a posh gun shop (Alex Martin incorporating John Dickson the bespoke Gunsmiths) in Glasgow with my pals, a bunch of scruffy teenagers, and I recall asking “I’d like a pair of double concentric springs for a Relum Super Tornado” in the poshest voice I could muster. The assistant looked down his nose at me before declaring in the most dismissive voice possible..”We do not sell junk in this shop!”... so I trooped off with my mates ripping the pish out of me regarding the junk comment.
    Anyway at that time there were several Gunshops around Glasgow city centre (all now sadly gone) so I went into one of the others and I ended up buying a Webley Falcon spring as I had a hunch that it would work and so it did... very well indeed and a lot smoother to cock without the graunch.

Soon after I sold it and I bought a brand new Haenel 302 in .177 and that really was a brilliant rifle.. very accurate with a fair bit of power. One of only a few guns I’ve ever bought brand new.

However I got the bug about 12 years ago to get reacquainted with one and I bought one in nice nick when Jeans Military Memories closed which I still have, complete with ‘graunch’.
    A couple of years ago I bought one on this forum, a later one with scope grooves and a different stock stained black and a wee pokey 4x32 scope and that shoots really well ... hitting the Quigley Bucket several times at the Boinger Bash much to the chagrin of some of the regulars!
    I’ve since bought another one for a tenner that’s got a damaged piston seal so any advice for obtaining one or any alternative replacement would be appreciated.

Back in 2003 I was in Budapest on holiday and I visited the former Relum factory ..FEG (Relum was the name of the London based importer, Muller) now making lightbulbs but they had a small Airgun museum which was closed that afternoon, being a Friday.

I’m fully aware that they are a bit agricultural in their manufacture but they are very robust and impressive to look at and I suppose with a bit of tweaking they can be quite nice to shoot and provide some satisfaction in the process.
    Last edited by VALE BOY; 21-01-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Thumbs up

I've a Jelly that Blackrider gave me, Nice and sleek they are!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've a Jelly that Blackrider gave me,

John
    Had you upset him ?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

the telly is relum answer to the original diana 27 which most break barrels are based on two of my favourites

who loves there relum

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've a Jelly that Blackrider gave me, Nice and sleek they are!!

John
    Yes that's the one my brother had!
    Last edited by junglie; 23-01-2019 at 01:24 AM.