Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep Sights.

Peep Sights.

I recently bought a used HW30 and, as said on an earlier thread, I'm struggling using the open sights as my eyes aren't what they were.
    Williams Peep sights were mentioned and I.J. kindly brought his HW30 to the club yesterday for me to try. What a difference.
    Are these still available? I've looked everywhere and can't find any.
    My only other option is to buy a cheap SMK diopter sight but I have been advised against them.

i have the Williams one on my 99 great piece of kit, if you find 2 let me know & i will have a 2nd one

Weihrauch make a sight that fits on the scope rail of the HW77 that can be fitted right at the back of the rifle. If you glue a small diameter washer on the back sight notch you have a a great peep sight. You can also fit a cheaper Chinese version as I have on my HW 95. If you cannot source one send me a PM.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

gtfreight,

The chappie on Bay Of Flea doesn't seem to list the Williams sight any more

There are two (2) of the economy aperture sights commonly available new in the UK :

One (1) is used by Air Arms (available from e.g. https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scopes-s...un-sights.html)

The other is distributed by SMK :

Of the two (2), the Air Arms type is less bad

If you can get hold of a vintage Gamo aperture, they are not bad at all - very weighty in the hand, unlike the modern economy sights.

Please look on Bay Of Flea for vintage aperture sights - the Anschutz 6xxxx series are very good, and I have them on a number of my rifles.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Weihrauch make a sight that fits on the scope rail of the HW77 that can be fitted right at the back of the rifle.
    that's a great idea - I have a couple of HW77 rearsights..

Should have thought of it myself really, much like the BSA buccaneer peepsight that just uses a different blade in the std BSA sight
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yep, excellent idea.

I now foresee an upsurge in demand for used '77 sights!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Weihrauch make a sight that fits on the scope rail of the HW77 that can be fitted right at the back of the rifle. If you glue a small diameter washer on the back sight notch you have a a great peep sight. You can also fit a cheaper Chinese version as I have on my HW 95. If you cannot source one send me a PM.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Good ideas there, is your 95 fitted with a mod, if so what is the front sight set up ?

I think J S Ramsbottoms were selling the Gamo apertures off cheap the last time I looked, Gary ?

All the best Mick

I've used both the AA and SMK (or at least an unbranded Chinese version) diopters on my HW30.

The AA developed an noticeable amount of wobble in the sliding parts quite quickly. A strip and lube with the thickest grease I could find dampened the movement down but I'd lost confidence in it by then.

It was also necessary to drill and tap a small hole in it's underside to accept an allen bolt to locate in the arrestor holes - the sight would never grip the dovetails well enough to not work it's way backwards.

The SMK style dioptre, by comparison, does what it says on the can with no problems.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    If it's of any use to you, I have a really well built Diopter sight that I got off the bay that I can't really get on with, I've no idea what make it is but it's very well built with no horrid cheap plastic bits to break (like the SMK ones), if you're interested in it then let me know and we'll come to some arrangment

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Rob, the front sight is made using a Parker Hale silencer. The barrel band of a QB78 is a perfect fit on it to make a sight protector. I tighten the silencer on and mark the vertical position for the blade. Then drill and tap the silencer to fit a locking screw so everything stays put on the rifle, and the rifle is not changed in any way. Here is a pic taken before I shaped the front blade.
    I use little Belleville washers from BSA regulators to make aperture sights and glue them on. Here is a repaired Jackal sight before cleaning up.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hi Garry
    I have a Williams receiver sight(peep sight) that I got from Craig P at the Boinger bash, it's the FP- AG model, I wanted to use it for my bell target shooting but the 6 yard distance is to small for the Williams sight, I can bring it with me to the April bash if you are interested ??
    It's a lovely bit of kit better suited for longer ranges.
    Les..

Les,
    That would be great, can I take you up on that please?

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Les,
    That would be great, can I take you up on that please?
    No problem mate,I will bring it with me for you to try it out on your gun.
    See you in April Garry.
    Les..

Williams peep sights generally available on fleabay...

That's where I got mine - it's on an HW35.