Thread: Filler probe question

Filler probe question

Hi i need some advice on the above, Just bought a bsa ultra max se complete with pump , I've taken the adapter off as I want to use my dive tank only to find what looks like a long cigarette filter stuck inside the probe and extension bit between the probe and pump hose, Looks like cotton wool but it must be some kind of filter, Dont fancy leaving that stuff inside the probe and risk bits getting inside the cylinder , Should I try and get the stuff out before trying to fill with my tank Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Last edited by madcarlos; 22-01-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Right got it all out, filler probe clear and air gushing through it, I've mostly had guns with buddy bottles but as the cylinder on this ultra is very small I would still seek some advice, Think I've heard before about slow fill adapters, So will this probe be ok to fill, Is it a case of very slowly opening the dive tank valve to fill the cylinder of the gun, I'd rather seek advice first than possibly over filling the gun resulting in damage or injury to myself, Thanks again,

The cotton wool is a filter to trap moisture from the pump which is not an issue with your tank.

If you have doubts about the probe get a new one from Best Fittings.
    They will also sell you their quickfill coupler kit which has flow restrictors in.

Slow fill is the technique for filling your gun or indeed any PCP and you will be able to master it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The cotton wool is a filter to trap moisture from the pump which is not an issue with your tank.

If you have doubts about the probe get a new one from Best Fittings.
    They will also sell you their quickfill coupler kit which has flow restrictors in.

Slow fill is the technique for filling your gun or indeed any PCP and you will be able to master it quickly.
    Yes thanks for that , I do have either a best fittings or daystate adapter which has the quick fit adapters to, If I put the adapter on the probe then used the daystate or best fittings fill adapter would that reduce the air flow, As it is now I would not attempt to fill as it comes out really fast, More so as the cylinder is so small, And thanks for your reply,

Personally I 've never had any issue with just hardly cracking open the cylinder valve to trickle fill, but some people do.

Best fittings supply a flow restrictor stem that fits the cylinder valve outlet, if you're worried get one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Personally I 've never had any issue with just hardly cracking open the cylinder valve to trickle fill, but some people do.

Best fittings supply a flow restrictor stem that fits the cylinder valve outlet, if you're worried get one of these.
    Thanks for that info , My mate has my daystate fill adapter and I will be having it back later, I will connect the ultra probe to that and see if it restricts it if not I will do as you say and crack it open a little, I've opened ut slowly while holding it last night to check the amount if air flow coming out and quite confident I can do it if it's an option, The ultra more or less 75 percent full do will try it when it's near empty to be sure, Tganks for your advice, Much appreciated,

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Hi again, Done as you suggested and after shooting the gun quite a few shots trying different silencers etc the gun was on about 100 bar so thought I'd give it a try, Anyhow I was able to slowly crack open the valve with it connected to the gun and set for about a 190 bar fill, Was a relief to see it slowly going up although I was extra careful on opening the valve, All sorted now thanks again,