Thread: best grease for spring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

best grease for spring

just stripped my spring rifle which grease is best for spring and components

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Any good moly will do it, though moly content can vary from one to another.

Degrease everything and then put a pea sized amount in the palm of one hand, grip and drag the spring through trying to drag as much as possible off as you go. Lube the rest sparingly and rebuild.

There are all sorts potions, lotions and exotic sounding things out there, but I think it was Jim Tyler who said "It doesn't pay to be a lubrication pioneer!"
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I've had success in the past with Miller's red rubber grease to sap power from a gun that's not 'too hot' but just on the verge with the right pellets. Deadens twang as well. As long as you never plan on trying to clean it off later ��
    I too use moly.. I've got some really high moly content stuff and I've got some cv joint grease.. just depends on the gun.. newer high quality guns get the high content grease which is quite stiff, older guns with sloppy tolerance will get the cv joint grease which is thick but a lot softer.
    Donald

many thanks for the replies

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Jeff skinner who tuned my TX200SR used cv joint grease. It was silky smooth, very impressive.

I use putoline dx11 chainlube goes on wet until the carrier evaporates works a treat for me
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Jeff skinner who tuned my TX200SR used cv joint grease. It was silky smooth, very impressive.
    Castrol MS3 when I used to have an old Mini. Personally I found it to thin - but OK for pivot points etc. I use ‘open gear’ grease which is very close to or the same as Maccarri tar. Sticks like the brown stuff to a wet blanket.

HTH
    Ian.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk