Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best grease for spring

best grease for spring

just stripped my spring rifle which grease is best for spring and components

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Any good moly will do it, though moly content can vary from one to another.

Degrease everything and then put a pea sized amount in the palm of one hand, grip and drag the spring through trying to drag as much as possible off as you go. Lube the rest sparingly and rebuild.

There are all sorts potions, lotions and exotic sounding things out there, but I think it was Jim Tyler who said "It doesn't pay to be a lubrication pioneer!"
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I've had success in the past with Miller's red rubber grease to sap power from a gun that's not 'too hot' but just on the verge with the right pellets. Deadens twang as well. As long as you never plan on trying to clean it off later ��
    I too use moly.. I've got some really high moly content stuff and I've got some cv joint grease.. just depends on the gun.. newer high quality guns get the high content grease which is quite stiff, older guns with sloppy tolerance will get the cv joint grease which is thick but a lot softer.
    Donald

many thanks for the replies

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Jeff skinner who tuned my TX200SR used cv joint grease. It was silky smooth, very impressive.

I use putoline dx11 chainlube goes on wet until the carrier evaporates works a treat for me
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Jeff skinner who tuned my TX200SR used cv joint grease. It was silky smooth, very impressive.
    Castrol MS3 when I used to have an old Mini. Personally I found it to thin - but OK for pivot points etc. I use ‘open gear’ grease which is very close to or the same as Maccarri tar. Sticks like the brown stuff to a wet blanket.

HTH
    Ian.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I still have an old Castrol green tin of Moly.

I switched to Red Rubber Grease when Bigtoe was advising that a few years ago. I've not had to do one since but the RRG seems to have lost favour now.

I thought it was great. It stayed where it was put. I brushed a tiny amount on the spring ( inside and out ). Just so that it glistened pink. Great for removing any twang and can actually be used to take a tad of power off without grinding springs down. I still like it.

Only a thin coating on the spring though. I use the old Moly on the piston. Just a tad. I then wipe my hands on a cloth and use the tiny bit that's left on my finger tips to wipe around edge of piston seal.
    Last edited by bozzer; 03-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Thumbs down

RRG is bloody horrible stuff to clean out of a piston....brake cleaner won't touch it

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Any good moly will do it, though moly content can vary from one to another.

There are all sorts potions, lotions and exotic sounding things out there, but I think it was Jim Tyler who said "It doesn't pay to be a lubrication pioneer!"
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I use ‘open gear’ grease which is very close to or the same as Maccarri tar. Sticks like the brown stuff to a wet blanket.

HTH
    Ian.
    Any of the airgun specific moly greases will, of course, be more than fine.....Abbey LT2, Bisley Gun Grease, Napier etc. My personal favourite is the V-Mach Moly Grease. Also, I'll often use some high moly content paste (Molyslip AS60 or Tinbum's Bumslide) - a tiny, tiny smear on the edge of the piston seal and a smear on the piston tail and any other high load / wear surfaces. Then the moly grease on the spring and to the rear of the cylinder once the piston has been inserted fully. The same on breech jaws, shims, cocking lever surfaces etc. Like Ian, I'll often use the "Open Gear" grease, in my case the "Molyslip OGL".

Again, hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    RRG is bloody horrible stuff to clean out of a piston....brake cleaner won't touch it
    A polisg guy that worked at a place I worked at used RRG in an air starter motor. we filled the gears up with red EP2 grease and he mistook RRG as the EP2 as it was the same colour. . he crammed a full tub of it in the starter.

I fitted the starter and it refused to turn when the air went in. I stripped the starter and found the RRG in it . none of the chemical cleaners we used would remove it . diesel would not remove it either .
    In the end a very strong FLOOR cleaner was used to dissolve the RRG .

He had built 5 or so more starters with RRG

Thumbs up

Horrible stuff

CV Grease from the car spares shop is as good or better than most.
    Stick it in a little tub with a gun on the sticker = tripple the price.

Any grease is better than no grease.
    Lithium grease is ok.
    Lithium with added molybdenum disulphide is better.
    CV joint grease has between 3% and 5% moly added.
    Honda 60 grease has 60% moly added and is expensive,also hard to find.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I wonder if the red rubber grease would be good for an old airsporter tap? I know there's a thread about that but I don't think it's mentioned... I think I'll pop over there now
    Donald