Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into the sport, rifle choice?

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef

Getting back into the sport, rifle choice?

Good evening, gentlemen.

It has been about 5 years since my last airgun ownership, and I’m hankering after getting myself one again.

We went to Butlin’s at Skegness just before Christmas, one of the activities was ‘precise target shooting’ Myself and my 12 year old daughter had a go (her first time shooting) They were Beeman spring break barrel guns with open sights shooting at ten meters. I won overall and myself and the youngster won the team event. It rekindled my love of air guns

I’m after something for back garden plinking, break barrel spring or gas ram. I’ve had a TX200SR before (.177 and .22) incredibly accurate but boy were they heavy. Also had a theoben break barrel gas ram in .22, again very accurate, fairly quite and easy to cock.

What I want is something fairly light and easy to cock, as Arthritis has been rather unkind to me. My budget for a rifle isn’t massive, around £200 but I’ll go to £250 for something nice. I’ve seen a few new guns around that price but obviously second hand will get me a better gun.

What’s out there these days that’s worth having in that price range? I’d love another theoben rammer but I think they’ll be out of my price range.

Oh, one other thing, it needs to come in left hand or ambi.

Ta in advance gents

Tidy secondhand hw95 mate fits the bill perfectly.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    I need an HW30s

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head there
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I'd go for a hw30 if it doesn't have to be full power.. That WAY your daughter can enjoy it too... buy second hand and you could afford a pistol to go with it
    Donald

It’s for me not her, definitely need it to be full power, man sized. Well, you never know where back garden plinking will lead

It leads to DOZENS of rifles! 😂😂😂
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Good evening, gentlemen.

It has been about 5 years since my last airgun ownership, and I’m hankering after getting myself one again.

We went to Butlin’s at Skegness just before Christmas, one of the activities was ‘precise target shooting’ Myself and my 12 year old daughter had a go (her first time shooting) They were Beeman spring break barrel guns with open sights shooting at ten meters. I won overall and myself and the youngster won the team event. It rekindled my love of air guns

I’m after something for back garden plinking, break barrel spring or gas ram. I’ve had a TX200SR before (.177 and .22) incredibly accurate but boy were they heavy. Also had a theoben break barrel gas ram in .22, again very accurate, fairly quite and easy to cock.

What I want is something fairly light and easy to cock, as Arthritis has been rather unkind to me. My budget for a rifle isn’t massive, around £200 but I’ll go to £250 for something nice. I’ve seen a few new guns around that price but obviously second hand will get me a better gun.

What’s out there these days that’s worth having in that price range? I’d love another theoben rammer but I think they’ll be out of my price range.

Oh, one other thing, it needs to come in left hand or ambi.

Ta in advance gents
    Hi Steve,

If buying new Walther Terrus or Weihrauch HW99s would probably be close to top of my list both have Ambi stocks and come with open sights to get you started and both within your budget and near on full power.

Didn’t say if your budget was to include a scope?

Alternatively there’s a rack of cheaper offerings well below budget eg Remington express, Hatsan, Stoeger models etc obviously going cheaper would mean compromises especially in the Trigger on some cheaper items but for back yard plinking maybe that’s not too much of a concern.

If buying used the Theoben would probably just be out of budget although sometimes it is possible to find one at your max budget although finding a LH or Ambi might mean a longer wait for something to suffice.

Nick

Rifle choice

£199.99
    .22 and .177
    • NEW positive locking barrel
    • Smooth, quiet and vibration free shooting
    • Match trigger
    • Ambidextrous stock
    • Can be fitted with a silencer
    * 9.25 lbs unscoped.
    Walther Century GT Break barrel & Walther 6 x 42 scope.
    Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 21-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    £199.99
    .22 and .177
    • NEW positive locking barrel
    • Smooth, quiet and vibration free shooting
    • Match trigger
    • Ambidextrous stock
    • Can be fitted with a silencer

Walther Century GT Break barrel & Walther 6 x 42 scope.
    Mach 1.5
    Nice call however Steve mentioned he wants something fairly light the last century that I owned was a lovely rifle but certainly no light weight

Yep, a synthetic stocked Terrus
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Second hand 95K or 99K

To me, the obvious choices would be the HW95 & 99 and the Terrus, as mentioned above.

As an outside contender, maybe even a Gamo? Many might snigger, but......I have a Vipermax which is pretty well known at the Boinger Bashes. Dead, dead easy cocking. Trigger not so clever but you can get used to it. Very accurate and will connect with the Quigley Bucket at 75 yards regularly. Although the twang is very loud, once you get accustomed to it, you then notice that there's actually pretty minimal sight picture disturbance.

Now, when I say easy cocking, I mean very, very easy cocking. Like you'd think it's doing 8ft.lbs. We ran it over the chrono at a Bash and it was doing 10.3 with 'Domes. Yesterday, prior to stripping I thought I'd do a power check with 11.9 grain Hobbies.......12.0! So a lightweight, full power, easy cocking and accurate break barrel. On stripping it yesterday I was pretty impressed with the internal finish of the cylinder. Piston will get a polish. Not so impressed with the stock bolts being EXTREMELY tight and loctited in, but I suppose they were never going to work loose!

Once de-Boinged and with the power reduced, this thing should be even more refined.

Very much a surprising outsider, but worth considering, in my opinion.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    You won’t go wrong with a HW95 or a HW99 Steve
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

I'm on the HW95 bandwagon too. A cracking rifle, an absolute doddle to strip down and of course home to the lovely Rekord trigger.

Thanks, Gents. I’d love a 95 but new out of my price range but I’ll see if one turns up in the sales section
    Last edited by Steve Valentine; 21-01-2019 at 09:29 PM.