Thread: A Different Calibre, Letchworth airgun shop has shut

A Different Calibre, Letchworth airgun shop has shut

I've just seen on Google that A Different Calibre, an airgun shop in Letchworth has shut down. Went in there and a few times. Last time, stocks seemed down. It had quite a nice indoor range and a shame that they had to close.

Anyone know the reasons why? Or if they're moving?
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

I used to go there quite a few years ago but found the owner a bit weird. I cant remember his name, but one day he was fine and the next day he was a right dick. Guess we all have our bad days. And by memory, I don't think that there was a shooting range at the premises then either
    Last edited by luckymjr; 21-01-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Shut some time ago.... Went from being a shop to a shop/range
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    Shut some time ago.... Went from being a shop to a shop/range
    O right. I last went there a good 5/6 months ago I think. And stocks were noticeably down. I did order a BSA gun case from them in the past which took ages to arrive. could have easily gone online but wanted to support the local. I think the excuse was that they had to kept waiting to make a carriage paid order, then there were delays etc etc. Was worried that they might be doing this to others and in which case, thought they wouldn't last long. Think the range had quite a few who used to attend but I suppose that alone could not keep the business going .

I don't think the owner was the weird one, I think it was the main guy who worked there who seemed quite opinionated abut things, miserable and annoying about things. Can easily see how he could p 1$s people off.

Must have just not been profitable then. Shame they couldn't make it work.
    Last edited by danco1987; 21-01-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

I have spent over £100 attending the range, was not cheap probably low attendance

When the new range first opened I did think it was a brave thing to do. It suited me to call by there as I often had a couple of hours to spare in Letchworth.
    I would imagine the rent and rates were very high.
    I always got on okay with the staff, but then I tend to take people as I find the.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    At £10 per hour the range was never busy while I was there. The shop was expensive (especially the 2nd hand section)
    The owner was a eccentric imho
    Pete

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    At £10 per hour the range was never busy while I was there. The shop was expensive (especially the 2nd hand section)
    The owner was a eccentric imho
    Eccentric he should have on here
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    When the new range first opened I did think it was a brave thing to do. It suited me to call by there as I often had a couple of hours to spare in Letchworth.
    I would imagine the rent and rates were very high.
    I always got on okay with the staff, but then I tend to take people as I find the.
    I got shown around the range shortly after they opened and it was quite busy. Also popped in there after work a few times to pick up pellets and they seemed to have a club or group of some sort using the range. I never used the range myself as tend to just stick to my permissions. That was some time back though and as has been said, rates probably were high. I did want to see the place succeed though, as it was my third favourite place to visit in Letchworth after the garden city brewery and craftys micropub Thankfully those two places are always busy
    Danny

Maybe they should have opened a bar not a range then
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    When I was a regular traveller into London any shop close to A1 was handy for me, went in there once, they had some gear I was looking to buy, but the staff where so bad I took my trade elsewhere.

Went there with a friend a couple of years back as it was open on Sunday and also supposedly had a 30m range (as opposed to the 20m range I sometimes use). Found their range of pellets was very limited but the tin I did get was cheaper than elsewhere.

In terms of staff attitude, I wasn't very impressed at all. The girl behind the desk was quite unhelpful and almost seemed to begrudge being there. Asked some guy called Andrew who seemed to be in charge if they sold shotguns as I was in the market for one and he went off on a rant about how shotgun owners are all toffs and he had no time for all that. Turns out they actually did have a few but you'd never have known it and I certainly never gave them any more business.

Quote Originally Posted by Willenium View Post
    Asked some guy called Andrew who seemed to be in charge if they sold shotguns as I was in the market for one and he went off on a rant about how shotgun owners are all toffs and he had no time for all that. Turns out they actually did have a few but you'd never have known it and I certainly never gave them any more business.
    Andrew, He was the boss I was talking about. Definitely a split personality. One day he was fine and the next day he wasn't. On one occasion I popped In for a mooch and a chat and I found him bloody rude. He said something like, I get fed up with people coming In here just for something to do, most of them never buy anything anyway. I then politely reminded him that a few months earlier I had purchased from him a gun cabinet, shotgun carts, and a .22 rimfire complete set up. Needless to say that was the last time I ever went back to that place.

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Andrew, He was the boss I was talking about. Definitely a split personality. One day he was fine and the next day he wasn't. On one occasion I popped In for a mooch and a chat and I found him bloody rude. He said something like, I get fed up with people coming In here just for something to do, most of them never buy anything anyway. I then politely reminded him that a few months earlier I had purchased from him a gun cabinet, shotgun carts, and a .22 rimfire complete set up. Needless to say that was the last time I ever went back to that place.

John
    That's not good

He wasn't the owner though I believe. The owner was another chap who I saw once and seemed like a nice guy. Shame it was always the guy with the split personality who was in there peeing off customers. I had a few long chats with him and couldn't get a word in edge ways. Always bought at least a tin of pellets when I went in. Until stocks diminished and could no longer get jsb heavies in there.

It was only a matter of time then with that guy behind the counter it seems
    Last edited by danco1987; 24-01-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Danny