Thread: Steyr .177 pellet preference.

Steyr .177 pellet preference.

Calling Steyr rifle users - which .177 pellets do you prefer?

I'm currently using AA diablo field 8.4gr 4.51mm for benchrest 25m in my Challenge HFT - only because I have loads of them.
    Wondering if there is room for improvement as I seem to be getting at least one flyer on every card.

What say the learned masses??
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    JSB 4.52 was finally what I ended up with after trying loads, but for bench rest you will have to go to batch testing if your serious as that is where the fine detail in accuracy is.

Every target below is a 5 shot group indoors at 30m with out of the tin pellets, I got tighter ones with weighed and batch selected JSB 4.52s The first 5 rows were my LG110.

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Good to see real information with real targets, shot consecutively at a measured distance, warts and all.

If you want no fliers then you need to use JSB Premium select.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Good to see real information with real targets, shot consecutively at a measured distance, warts and all.
    Each line is 25 shots, and I'd do a dozen or so shots at spinners between swapping pellets just to get the gun get used to them for consistency, so what you see there is about 125 shots in total all under a 5p with 5 different pellets - it was a struggle to decide which to use as this was just one card, I actually shot 4 of these with about 20 different pellets

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Each line is 25 shots, and I'd do a dozen or so shots at spinners between swapping pellets just to get the gun get used to them for consistency, so what you see there is about 125 shots in total all under a 5p with 5 different pellets - it was a struggle to decide which to use as this was just one card, I actually shot 4 of these with about 20 different pellets

I do similar when looking for the perfect load with a centrefire rifle: These were 45 consecutive shots with my 6mmbr at 110 yards. Settled on 29.6 gns then start adjusting seating depth.

It starts to get very difficult when your looking for the "best" results, human error - (especially at 110 yards) can throw your findings so easily, I've even got different results on different days with the same pellets/gun/conditions etc., the only variable was me

James

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I do similar when looking for the perfect load with a centrefire rifle: These were 45 consecutive shots with my 6mmbr at 110 yards. Settled on 29.6 gns then start adjusting seating depth.

Messy !
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Messy !

It was windy

Air arms field 8.4g 4.52 or JSB Exact 8.4g 4.52 for me in my Steyr Challenge.