Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A warning to bsa R10 owners !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    You can’t leave it there! If it’s too sensitive for open forum, can you pm me?
    Do what I did, ring JB and put your questions to him direct.

There been a few people that have had problem's with r10 reg's and the s10 when they used to sell then years ago
    Ive had 3 R1O's all had bad reg's
    1 went back to the shop for a swap for hw100k the other 2 bought used at the right price so fitted a huma reg problem solved

The s10 I bought new years ago went back to bsa 3 times still bad swap/px in the shop for rapid 12 mk2 headache went fewwww lol

Its a shame as they nice looking rifles but the reg's are just not reliable or have I and others been the unlucky ones lol
    Last edited by wild dogman; 23-01-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wild dogman View Post
    There been a few people that have had problem's with r10 reg's and the s10 when they used to sell then years ago
    Ive had 3 R1O's all had bad reg's
    1 went back to the shop for a swap for hw100k the other 2 bought used at the right price so fitted a huma reg problem solved

The s10 I bought new years ago went back to bsa 3 times still bad swap/px in the shop for rapid 12 mk2 headache went fewwww lol

Its a shame as they nice looking rifles but the reg's are just not reliable are have I and others been the unlucky ones lol
    Chap down my club bought a R10 brand new and had planned to put a huma reg in it from the start after hearing how unreliable the standard regs are.

He only had it a short time from new and coincidentally when the huma reg turned up he discovered the original reg had spat it’s dummy out at the same time talk about timing

He’s not had a single issue with it since the huma reg and it’s one of his main hunting setups.

Are the SE regs the same ?

Iv had plenty of dealings with JB over the years, the S10 i own is a MK2 and is still going strong, pellet on pellet to 50yard. Yes, recently i sent it back to John for a stage 2 blueprint and yes he did suggest it to be done after the rifle had been in hibernation for about 2 years. It had totally given up on firing with the amount of verdigris that had built up in that time. At the same time he stripped both buddy bottles and rebuilt them (free of charge) and they're like new again. I think what needs mentioning here is that his lifetime warranty cant be expected to be used after neglect. And leaving a regged PCP rifle in a cupboard for years without firing it is neglect lol. Like bear said I think the only other option than the high grade plastic reg is to return your rifle in bits then that's £40 wasted in postage plus you having to find someone to fit an expensive new reg.
    BSA JB Superten carbine MK2 action in MK3 stock done in realtree hardwoods by hydrographics.
    BSA Ultra CLX first edition SN181

Quote Originally Posted by roster11 View Post
    Iv had plenty of dealings with JB over the years, the S10 i own is a MK2 and is still going strong, pellet on pellet to 50yard. Yes, recently i sent it back to John for a stage 2 blueprint and yes he did suggest it to be done after the rifle had been in hibernation for about 2 years. It had totally given up on firing with the amount of verdigris that had built up in that time. At the same time he stripped both buddy bottles and rebuilt them (free of charge) and they're like new again. I think what needs mentioning here is that his lifetime warranty cant be expected to be used after neglect. And leaving a regged PCP rifle in a cupboard for years without firing it is neglect lol. Like bear said I think the only other option than the high grade plastic reg is to return your rifle in bits then that's £40 wasted in postage plus you having to find someone to fit an expensive new reg.
    I can sympathise with the OP here.
    Its not the quality of the reg that's in question or how little the rifle had been used.
    Its the fact that work had apparently been carried out on the rifle without the owner's consent and the owner then being billed for something that he didn't expect.

I've always understood John's work carried a lifetime guarantee. Is that now a guarantee subject to certain conditions ? If so those conditions need to be made very clear
    B.A.S.C. member

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I've always understood John's work carried a lifetime guarantee. Is that now a guarantee subject to certain conditions ? If so those conditions need to be made very clear
    I have no connection to any of this, and agree written terms settle things quicker, while I also understand a reputation can be all you need to support it?

Looking at any kind of lifetime guarantee made by a "repair agent" let's call it for easy wording, my expectation would be for any work to be guaranteed for life, but not necessarily the components he has fitted or something failing due to lack of use or lack of maintenance. If you bought a car and left it parked up for two years, would you expect the manufacturer to get it up and running again under warranty? Or if they serviced it and then you left it for two years and the engine seized, would that be reasonable?

To me it's more about "is he being reasonable in his actions?" It does not sound like his work was faulty, it sounds more like wear and tear for short of a better explanation. So then did he do the work for free and just charge for the shipping and the new reg, or did he charge for everything, which to me would have been a tough one to swallow with a lifetime guarantee?

Ultimately we still won't know unless it's made public and once again - we can make out own minds up, because just now it's just speculation and sabre rattling with no real meat on the bone.

I'd also suggest we keep it civil and not personal, we don't need pistols at dawn

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I have no connection to any of this, and agree written terms settle things quicker, while I also understand a reputation can be all you need to support it?

Looking at any kind of lifetime guarantee made by a "repair agent" let's call it for easy wording, my expectation would be for any work to be guaranteed for life, but not necessarily the components he has fitted or something failing due to lack of use or lack of maintenance. If you bought a car and left it parked up for two years, would you expect the manufacturer to get it up and running again under warranty? Or if they serviced it and then you left it for two years and the engine seized, would that be reasonable?

To me it's more about "is he being reasonable in his actions?" It does not sound like his work was faulty, it sounds more like wear and tear for short of a better explanation. So then did he do the work for free and just charge for the shipping and the new reg, or did he charge for everything, which to me would have been a tough one to swallow with a lifetime guarantee?

Ultimately we still won't know unless it's made public and once again - we can make out own minds up, because just now it's just speculation and sabre rattling with no real meat on the bone.

I'd also suggest we keep it civil and not personal, we don't need pistols at dawn

James
    I've no intention of being anything other than civil and don't need directing to be so.

In terms of what the OP says happened, i.e work carried out and charged for. I'd be as miffed as he is.

The guarantee issue was just a question and my thoughts that if there are any limitations on a guarantee, it should be made clear what the guarantee covers. I've certainly no gripe with JB and have had one of his blueprints myself.
    B.A.S.C. member

NO guarantee will cover damage caused by "misuse" by the user full stop, to leave something in storage for an extended period without inhibiting it against corrosion is a form of misuse.

If the rifle was returned with the instruction to "fix it" & the reg was fubar then replacing the part is the instructed repair, if the damage was caused by the rifle being "misused" by virtue of incorrect long-term storage, then of course the new part will be charged.

If you want to be asked before any repair is carried out, then you instruct "to investigate the fault & contact the owner to discuss any cost of repair or options"

Now I don't know what instruction was given when it was sent back, I would hope that the owner kept a copy of the letter giving the instruction & therefore has proof of what he asked to be done & whether his instruction was complied with.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I've no intention of being anything other than civil and don't need directing to be so.
    Not directed at you my friend, I just winced a couple of times reading some of the comments posted which seemed to be getting less than friendly
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    NO guarantee will cover damage caused by "misuse" by the user full stop, to leave something in storage for an extended period without inhibiting it against corrosion is a form of misuse.

If the rifle was returned with the instruction to "fix it" & the reg was fubar then replacing the part is the instructed repair, if the damage was caused by the rifle being "misused" by virtue of incorrect long-term storage, then of course the new part will be charged.

If you want to be asked before any repair is carried out, then you instruct "to investigate the fault & contact the owner to discuss any cost of repair or options"

Now I don't know what instruction was given when it was sent back, I would hope that the owner kept a copy of the letter giving the instruction & therefore has proof of what he asked to be done & whether his instruction was complied with.
    Both valid points. Individually

But as I read it the owner asked for it to be repaired under warranty. If I'd requested the same I'd expect to be advised of a cost of something that wasn't covered in the warranty.

Whichever was the case we'll likely never know.
    All discussions like this no matter how "sensitive" are good. It all adds to knowledge. Even if only to prompt someone to ask a question.

In fact I've re read the OP's first post again.

He states in an initial discussion he was offered a replacement reg which he declined.
    If the reg had been beyond economical repair I'd expect a call to state that and to be offered the chance to not have the work done, even if that meant the rifle coming back to me in pieces.
    B.A.S.C. member

Both valid points. Individually

But as I read it the owner asked for it to be repaired under warranty. If I'd requested the same I'd expect to be advised of a cost of something that wasn't covered in the warranty.

Whichever was the case we'll likely never know.
    All discussions like this no matter how "sensitive" are good. It all adds to knowledge. Even if only to prompt someone to ask a question.

In fact I've re read the OP's first post again.

He states in an initial discussion he was offered a replacement reg which he declined.
    If the reg had been beyond economical repair I'd expect a call to state that and to be offered the chance to not have the work done, even if that meant the rifle coming back to me in pieces.
    That's pretty much my take on it - a quick courtesy call could have sorted this before it began.

All of the above.

Apparently the OP has an aggressive telephone manner constantly talking over the other person. He contacted JB and said that he had his sons R10 Blueprint Tuned a long time ago. It had been stood unused for several years and now he had come to use it again there were issues with it. JB told him that it was probably clogged up with corrosion through not being used but it shouldn’t be a problem and he could sort it out for him. He went on to mention that when the OPs Blueprint Tune was carried out the BSA reg was modified to work properly and his own reg was offered at an optional extra of £100. JB said that after he split from BSA several years ago he ditched the BSA reg entirely and fitted his own as part of a Blueprint Tune lifting the overall price of the tune to allow for it. The OP asked how much this would cost and was told that as he was the original customer for the Blueprint Tune he charges £100 which includes bringing it up to current Blueprint Tune spec. “ I politely declined the new reg option & said I just wanted it fixed-as per his "lifetime warrenty." was NOT the reply. Instead the OP just said he would send it using Parcelforce 48 hr service. JB said he would turn it around quick for him so he could use the R10 again without delay.
    The parcel arrived with just two stickers giving the senders name and postal address. No phone number, other contact details or covering letter/scribbled note. JB sent a letter to the OP using snailmail requesting his phone number. Meanwhile to avoid delay he cracked on with the R10 as per the phone conversation. When he received the phone number JB rang the OP to arrange a bank transfer. The OP took the details asking what bank it was and then saying good that was his as well so there shouldn’t be any delay. JB then explained the R10 was now up to current spec., had been serviced and was fitted with his bolt lock up and bearing modifications which are usually an extra cost to the Blueprint Tune. As the OP was a long term R10 owner and JB wanted rifles based on his designs out there at their best they were included FOC. The OP said he would transfer the £100 plus £20 post and packing cost as soon as he could JB saying he would Parcelforce the R10 the following Monday as he didn’t like sending items that may be stuck in a depot over the weekend.

The next thing that happened was the Ops thread

There are several members that posted on this thread who owe JB an apology. I very much doubt they will as that would involve them admitting they have made a mistake. A sorry mess and and showing some members of this otherwise fine forum in their true colours

And I think that's where we'll draw the line for now so folks can digest this lot rather than just wading in.

All the best Mick