Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warning to bsa R10 owners !

A warning to bsa R10 owners !

This applies to all bsa R10's with standard regs or any that have been blueprinted by John Bowkett. I can't comment on other aftermarket regs from the information I have. I just heard from JB today after sending my sons R10 to be repaired, that he'd fitted his "new" reg design & it would cost me £100+£20 return postage. He told me before I sent it about his new regs, with some new engineering plastic parts inside that prevented the build up of verdegris on the brass reg body & would prevent this fault occuring again. I politely declined the new reg option & said I just wanted it fixed-as per his "lifetime warrenty." Now I do know that regged guns must be shot regulary to keep them working well. But we just havn't had time to use the R10 for the past 3-4 years.( too busy looking after my mum with altzeimers before she died last feb) So imagine my reaction when he told me this today when I was expecting maybe to have to pay the return postage at most.( The gun had already been back to him a year or 2 after blueprinting to have the power re-set as it'd become a bit hot.) Here's the best bit though-when I asked him if this new reg would totally prevent the verdegis build up again he said no! Then why did you fit it, when I asked you not to", I replied? "Because I'm sick of messing around with those rubbish bsa regs was his reply!!!" So shoot those R10's at least once a week folks & don't believe any lifetime warrenty unless you have it in writing & checked by your lawyer first.(not scribbled on a scrap of paper in biro! How I wish I'd recorded those two phone conversations now. I commented on the blueprinted hornet carbine I've got now & how much better built it seemed than the R10 & he told me those were the last well built pcp's bsa made btw,a conclusion i'd already came to myself....anyone wanna buy an R10...LOL.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Sorry to hear this, I thought a JB blueprint pretty much sorted R10s, but after reading this I'm not so sure again. It's a pity as they are good looking rifles, and John has a good reputation with them, so I thought he would cover his own work if you haven't messed it up.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Sorry to hear this, I thought a JB blueprint pretty much sorted R10s, but after reading this I'm not so sure again. It's a pity as they are good looking rifles, and John has a good reputation with them, so I thought he would cover his own work if you haven't messed it up.

James
    Nope, never been inside it, all I've done to it was just slightly loosen the pressure gauge before posting to let the air out slowly as JB requested.

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    “Hello, John. Can you please return my rifle back to its original state and remove any works that I haven’t agreed to? Ta. “

It’s rather cheeky and unprofessional to be honest, incidents like this can destroy many years of good reputation. I’m quite surprised someone as well thought of as John Bowkett would stoop so low with such busines practices. It certainly sounds like any warranties on his work aren’t as good as previously thought.

This sounds a bit unusual so I phoned JB this morning. It seems Junglie, aka Martin Bell, is not letting the truth get in the way of what he thinks is a good story.

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    This sounds a bit unusual so I phoned JB this morning. It seems Junglie, aka Martin Bell, is not letting the truth get in the way of what he thinks is a good story.
    You can’t leave it there! If it’s too sensitive for open forum, can you pm me?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    You can’t leave it there! If it’s too sensitive for open forum, can you pm me?
    And me
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I would suspect the original reg was fubar so the choice was new reg or returned as a bag of bits.

Nothing is "too sensitive"
    if a party starts a thread slandering someone which turns out to be untrue, knowing the truth/other parties version will be made public might stop it happening again.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Agreed - if there are 2 sides we should hear them both and decide for ourselves, the OP is the one who has opened the door so should have no issues with this - or he could ask the thread is deleted as it's perhaps not technically accurate?

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Agreed - if there are 2 sides we should hear them both and decide for ourselves, the OP is the one who has opened the door so should have no issues with this - or he could ask the thread is deleted as it's perhaps not technically accurate?

James
    +1 I would love to hear the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    I want to know what you say I've said is a lie. One of the reasons I put this on the forum is I knew some little snitch like you would do exactly this, why do you think I said I'd wish I'd recorded both phone conversations? If your going to call me a liar mate I might just pop up at an event your at & ask you to do it to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I would suspect the original reg was fubar so the choice was new reg or returned as a bag of bits.

Nothing is "too sensitive"
    if a party starts a thread slandering someone which turns out to be untrue, knowing the truth/other parties version will be made public might stop it happening again.
    You've got a good point there I should have asked for it to returned as it was free to get a new reg fitted by someone else.when I feel ripped off I NEVER use that persons services again (but had no choice this time as he'd already fitted it.) & warn my freinds not to either.

Poor customer service.

Go straight to Citizens Advice and tell them exactly what has happened. I doubt very much that a business can simply fit new parts without advising you first and discussing costs. If his work was warranted for life then it matters not what it was written on - far more powerful, however, are your consumer rights and it's a real shame that the vast majority of people are unaware that we have the best consumer rights in Europe - forget 1 or 2 years, in many cases you are covered by law up to 7 years. When an item is sold, by a retailer, in this country, the warranty they put on is merely an added bonus - it has no real meaning.

These stories are very common, unfortunately for any tuning company or individual 'you are only as good as your last mistake'. The real test is how these companies/individuals put things right when it does go wrong however costly. Does Mr Bowkett give a lifetime guarantee on his work ? I would think that difficult for anyone, especially with PCP's given that 'O' rings might be considered a servicable item prone to wear & failure over time. I hope it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.