Thread: Delving into the springer powerplant.

Delving into the springer powerplant.

I've just read Jim's excellent, as ever, article this month. Very thought provoking, as usual. And it reminded me of something that I've been mulling over for a while but omitted to ask.

No doubt it will have been tried in the past? After all, there's rarely anything genuinely new in this wonderful hobby of ours.

So, in the past I posted about see-through cylinders and high speed cameras. The see-through cylinder would obviously pose issues, due to material unsuitability re friction / temperature.

So, how about........And it really seems so simple. High speed, high resolution camera in place. Would 1000 frames per second do it?

Then, action out of the gun. Clean the edge of the cocking slot. Accurately mark, in 1mm increments, a scale. The rear edge of the piston skirt would be the reference marker. On that scale, have some of the markers forward of the "at rest" position, just in case there is any "over travel" on the second piston landing leading to the piston seal compressing ever so slightly?

Piston travel plotted against time should reveal many things of interest. A further camera at the muzzle to give exact pellet exit timings would also be most useful and pellet start point calculated from this. Measuring piston acceleration against time, I'm guessing, will allow accurate calculation of pressure and temperatures. And, like Jim says, trying to magic some sort of internal sensor to measure cylinder temperature for such a tiny moment in time must be nigh-on impossible.

Thoughts, good learned people?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    You think and worry to much

Actually thinking about it didn't Walther do such a thing when they developed the new LGV?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I wonder if you could cut a slot in the side of a hw80 cylinder and then do a 25mm reduced cylinder conversion but sleeve the action with some 30mm polycarbonate tube I mean I wouldn't do it to one I own but I think it would work for a chrono session and video at least.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Actually thinking about it didn't Walther do such a thing when they developed the new LGV?

Pete
    Not sure, Pete. Maybe. I seem to remember a slow-mo of the shot cycle on their website, action was a schematic?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Not sure, Pete. Maybe. I seem to remember a slow-mo of the shot cycle on their website, action was a schematic?
    I'm damn sure I read a massive 4 page report in one of the airgun mags with Sir Terrence of Doe about the then new LGV and how Walther had spent a packet on research and development and had put sensors and the such on a test rig, to see what goes on inside a springer, I'm sure I didn't dream that.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I'm sure that is correct too, Pete.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the piston position during firing has been accurately mapped with a potentiometer already, by a good friend of Jim's
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.