Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0.25 RWS Superdome pellets

0.25 RWS Superdome pellets

Hi folks,
    Would anyone shooting 0.25 know if the above pellets are any good ? I’m trying to get a 0.25 project gun working which belonged to a late friend. Apart from the barrel it’s completely homemade
    Its a break barrel pre-charge bull pup design , and I’ve managed to get it working from a 280cc theoban bottle but I need some pellets to test it with ( chrono and accuracy ) before I spend any money making a stock for it etc.

The above are available from JSR for £1.99 + p&p but I’m a bit concerned about the weight ( 31grns ), or would the H&N field target trophy’s at £5.99 and 21grn be better ?

Cheers,

Norm

What about the Super H Points? Still £1.99 from JSR and 25gn. I've bought some of these and haven't really tried them yet, although some guys on here have already found them okay in their rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Hi folks,
    Would anyone shooting 0.25 know if the above pellets are any good ? I’m trying to get a 0.25 project gun working which belonged to a late friend. Apart from the barrel it’s completely homemade
    Its a break barrel pre-charge bull pup design , and I’ve managed to get it working from a 280cc theoban bottle but I need some pellets to test it with ( chrono and accuracy ) before I spend any money making a stock for it etc.

The above are available from JSR for £1.99 + p&p but I’m a bit concerned about the weight ( 31grns ), or would the H&N field target trophy’s at £5.99 and 21grn be better ?

Cheers,

Norm
    I would say the superdomes would be too heavy for sub 12ft/lbs. it's not a bsa barel is it btw? If so i'd recommend a tr robb pellet sizer too, as all the german pellets are too tight in bsa .25 barrels, bsa pylarm fit well though but arn't as good quality as the german pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I would say the superdomes would be too heavy for sub 12ft/lbs. it's not a bsa barel is it btw? If so i'd recommend a tr robb pellet sizer too, as all the german pellets are too tight in bsa .25 barrels, bsa pylarm fit well though but arn't as good quality as the german pellets.
    Yes, I’m fairly sure it’s a BSA barrel, Martin made 3 other precharged guns and a precharged target pistol and he always favoured the BSA barrels.

I don’t really want to spend too much at the moment, till I’ve established if it’s worth it. Given your thoughts I’m wondering if the BSA Pylarm pellets might be the best option initially, reasonably cheap and hopefully they’d be a good fit in the barrel as well !

Cheers,

Norm

[QUOTE=Mr.Fixit-Norm;7631639]Yes, I’m fairly sure it’s a BSA barrel, Martin made 3 other precharged guns and a precharged target pistol and he always favoured the BSA barrels.

I don’t really want to spend too much at the moment, till I’ve established if it’s worth it. Given your thoughts I’m wondering if the BSA Pylarm pellets might be the best option initially, reasonably cheap and hopefully they’d be a good fit in the barrel as well !

Cheers,[QUOTE] mlbro rhino's are even better if you can find anyone with old stock left as they're defunct now but the ftt's give the best accuracy once re-sized in bsa .25 barrels I found. The pylarms are about 18gn & rhino's 19gn.

[QUOTE=junglie;7631647][QUOTE=Mr.Fixit-Norm;7631639]Yes, I’m fairly sure it’s a BSA barrel, Martin made 3 other precharged guns and a precharged target pistol and he always favoured the BSA barrels.

Cheers,
    mlbro rhino's are even better if you can find anyone with old stock left as they're defunct now but the ftt's give the best accuracy once re-sized in bsa .25 barrels I found. The pylarms are about 18gn & rhino's 19gn.
    Hmmm that’s odd JSR are quoting 21.6grns for the Pylarms in 0.25

I think I might go for these initially ( only one tin for testing purposes ), I don’t really want to mess around with re-sizing at this stage. ( if you saw the action I’m working with you’d probably agree )

Cheers,

[QUOTE=Mr.Fixit-Norm;7631657][QUOTE=junglie;7631647]
    Yes, I’m fairly sure it’s a BSA barrel, Martin made 3 other precharged guns and a precharged target pistol and he always favoured the BSA barrels.

Cheers,

Hmmm that’s odd JSR are quoting 21.6grns for the Pylarms in 0.25 Cheers,
    I think I might go for these initially ( only one tin for testing purposes ), I don’t really want to mess around with re-sizing at this stage. ( if you saw the action I’m working with you’d probably agree ) - Maybe thats right I'm just going off the weight I read on a pettet chart on the net a few years ago. best to weigh them yourself, I didn't have any scales that sensitive. I would say that they seemed lighter than the rhinos myself by experience shooting both types in my 635 bsa mercury when I owned it.

The Pylarm used to be 18.6gns, quite possible they have now changed, as they're made by Gamo who already make their own 21gn pellet.

Strangely Pylarm are 6.3mm not the .243" to suit old BSA barrels, you want green Rhino which are .243 20gn, yellow Rhino are 6.3mm 21gn.

Marksman also do a cheap .25 pellet around 19gn

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The Pylarm used to be 18.6gns, quite possible they have now changed, as they're made by Gamo who already make their own 21gn pellet.

Strangely Pylarm are 6.3mm not the .243" to suit old BSA barrels, you want green Rhino which are .243 20gn, yellow Rhino are 6.3mm 21gn.

Marksman also do a cheap .25 pellet around 19gn
    I’ve actually ordered a tin of Pylarms from JSR , I did go looking for the green tin Rhinos but everywhere I checked seems to be out of stock?

The pylarms will at least give me a start to see whether or not the project is worth progressing. I’m having a few issues getting the 280cc Theoban (?) bottle to screw into the connection on the action, without leaking too much air during the screw up process, so I’ve a way to go yet !

Thanks for the info anyway

Norm

not all the bsa barrels were .243 the later ones were .25 afaik
    I bought a blank from Knibbs whilst they still had them and made two barrels the un choked one shoots h&nftt spot on but the choked one doesn't like much but pylarms and aa fields were the best it shot, I think the choke is too much for a sub 12 gun
    the heavy superdomes I use for setting power only

My advice would be to try with almost anything other than Pylarm! I am afraid to say my experience of them a couple of years back were that they were huge variations in weight and size as well as being inaccurate. I don't think they will give you a fair view of how accurate/worthy the rifle is.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

H&n ftt are the best for me for ratty. But the bisley superfield were good to. Glad I have a few old tins left.

can you still get super domes. or eley wasps. which ever a quick tip, fire a few fag filters threw. then do it again with them soaked in wax.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I’ve actually ordered a tin of Pylarms from JSR , I did go looking for the green tin Rhinos but everywhere I checked seems to be out of stock?

The pylarms will at least give me a start to see whether or not the project is worth progressing. I’m having a few issues getting the 280cc Theoban (?) bottle to screw into the connection on the action, without leaking too much air during the screw up process, so I’ve a way to go yet !

Thanks for the info anyway

Norm
    Hi. Best theoben rapid set up. Is with the Mfr regulator and Mfr bottle. No hassles putting on and removing bottles.

Quick update on the 0.25 project gun.

Pretty much sorted getting the bottle to fit without leaking, it involved machining a brass insert for the fitting on the gun so the bottles dowty seal had a smooth and wide enough face to seal against.
    It also entailed getting a slightly larger dowty seal as well, 14mm instead of 1/4bsp.

With this done my attention could be turned to the firing it with the BSA Pylarm pellets

The first test with the bottle filled to 130bar, was giving chrono tests of around 6.8-7.0 ftlbs, a bit disappointing but the results were quite consistent.

On closer examination of the gun I realised it had a removable transfer port which is fitted it from the side just under the breech. Removing the port I realised it had been made with two different sizes of transfer port hole and I was using the smallest one ~1mm, with the other being, ahem, quite large
    Rotating the port gave much, much better results, in fact quite a bit too much power - nuff said !

Now I do have an FAC for my BSA Hornet 0.22 but firstly I don’t have a real need for an FAC 0.25 and secondly I don’t know if you can get a home made gun put on ticket ( any thoughts on this would be welcome and of interest ) , I did wonder if you could make a 12ftlb gun, get a 0.25 slot on your ticket then register the 12ftlb gun, and after it’s added, increase the power ??? Not sure if it would work that way, im guessing you’d have to give it a name and serial number as well.

At the end of the day with my Hornet I applied, got the FAC for 0.22 air, I already had the gun at 12ftlb, sent it to John Bowker, he performed the wizardry then I picked it up and he signed my ticket - job done.

The other question I wanted to ask, as I’m almost certainly not going the FAC route, I can sort the transfer port so it only has one transfer hole, but is there anyway to work out how big it needs to be to give power readings around 11.0. - 11.5ftlbs ?

Any help gratefully received

Norm