Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are springer repeaters not more popular these days ?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Why are springer repeaters not more popular these days ?

I would have thought that with modern technology we could have something like a modern repeater P/S /Airsporter.

There is not even a Diana repeater now.

Just wondering why.

Probably because multi-shot pre-charged rifles have become quite prevalent and offer more benefit in terms of ease of use.

Also the currently available repeating spring / gas ram guns are shite.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Probably because multi-shot pre-charged rifles have become quite prevalent and offer more benefit in terms of ease of use.
    Definitely this
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Also the currently available repeating spring / gas ram guns are shite.
    But this,,,, Nail, Head, Squarely Hit!!!

Multishot is a smaller niche market within the already small niche market of Spring/ Gas Ram powered rifles I suppose,,,, (don't roast me, Im a springer shooter)
    And since the old Theoben SLR's I haven't really seen a nicely done repeater.

The last repeater that caught my eye was the Gamo Maxxim and I think the design team were glue sniffers or something because that is one strange looking multishot system

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post

Original BSA Goldstar?

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Original BSA Goldstar?

Cheers
    Greg
    Damn, I forgot about that one, good call
    Nice looking rifle,, Thanks Greg

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Original BSA Goldstar?

Cheers
    Greg
    The rifle was fine, it was the mags that were shite.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I've shot the gamo maxxim and I thought it pretty horrible - trigger not great and harsh shot cycle. Having said that the multishot function performed flawlessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    Diana 300R?

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2011...rlever-part-2/

Easy to break it, though, if you don’t treat it properly, as the article linked above shows. And, I think, only made in .177”.

Looking at reports from the SHOT show, both Crosman/Benjamin and Hatsan are bringing out new repeating break barrels along similar lines to the Gamo Maxxim.

Not prejudging anything, but they both look like stupid useless nonsense. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Diana 300R?

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2011...rlever-part-2/

Easy to break it, though, if you don’t treat it properly, as the article linked above shows. And, I think, only made in .177”.
    i had a diana 300r. found it very very front heavy and was a very long gun. the mag set up was far more robust than a goldstar but the fiddle of loading the mag then putting it in the holder and then loading it in to the gun is more time intrusive then the bsa mag set up. i have 3 goldstars at the moment and the goldstar is a far more balanced gun. the mags work ok if you use the slightly newer ones than the original ones. having had both i prefer the goldstar. id not buy another 300r thats for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I've shot the gamo maxxim and I thought it pretty horrible - trigger not great and harsh shot cycle. Having said that the multishot function performed flawlessly...
    Ive got one in .22 and I agree that the multishot system deserves a better gun.

gimmicks!!, cheap and nasty pointless gimmicks , that's why

I had a BSA Goldstar that was certainly not a gimmick.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    One of the attractions of a spring gun is its simplicity. Repeaters are more complex, uglier and you still have to cock the dang thing anyway, so you have to have it out of your shoulder in any case, not really any advantage to a nice simple single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    One of the attractions of a spring gun is its simplicity. Repeaters are more complex, uglier and you still have to cock the dang thing anyway, so you have to have it out of your shoulder in any case, not really any advantage to a nice simple single shot.
    Nail, meet head.
    It needs taking out the shoulder and cocking still. With a pocket full of pellets its just as quick to use a break barrel.
    Ive got a 300r and a goldstar. Dont use either.

If they put that design effort into a recoiless break barrel there would be something to be excited about