Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are springer repeaters not more popular these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Nail, meet head.
    It needs taking out the shoulder and cocking still. With a pocket full of pellets its just as quick to use a break barrel.
    Ive got a 300r and a goldstar. Dont use either.

If they put that design effort into a recoiless break barrel there would be something to be excited about
    Mmmm...

Pcp’s with magazines seem fairly popular. I respectfully submit that there’s no practical difference between cocking a springer with a magazine and cycling a pcp. Not many pcp’s that you don’t take out of your shoulder to cycle.

In a hunting scenario with cold fingers etc I can see a fair advantage in having a magazine to enable fast follow up shots

Devils advocate and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    One of the attractions of a spring gun is its simplicity. Repeaters are more complex, uglier and you still have to cock the dang thing anyway, so you have to have it out of your shoulder in any case, not really any advantage to a nice simple single shot.
    That’s probably the case with full-power springers, but my mostly - but not only- teenage experience with Gamo/ASI Sniper and Paratrooper repeaters, and the Daisy 1894, is that they can be re-cocked in the shoulder with good technique. And, as you may remember, I’m no weight lifter, rather a tall thin streak of...

Everything else, agree. Full power accurate repeating springers would have sold like hot cakes in 1982. But the SLR88 came out in, er, 88 (and was very expensive) and the Gold Star in 1990 or 91. By which time the cool kids who could afford it had gone to PCPs.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Not many pcp’s that you don’t take out of your shoulder to cycle.
    Really? My only proper experience of a PCP bolt-action repeater was the Rapid 7, but I never dropped it from the shoulder between shots.

And in my full bore days, I could get repeated hits quickly, butt in shoulder, with Lee-Enfield, M1903, M1917, Kar98K...etc.

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    Mmmm...

Pcp’s with magazines seem fairly popular. I respectfully submit that there’s no practical difference between cocking a springer with a magazine and cycling a pcp. Not many pcp’s that you don’t take out of your shoulder to cycle.

In a hunting scenario with cold fingers etc I can see a fair advantage in having a magazine to enable fast follow up shots

Devils advocate and all that.
    Agree entirely. Why no nice under lever repeaters anymore ?
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beagle View Post
    Agree entirely. Why no nice under lever repeaters anymore ?
    There was that Diana with the mag ... I think it is just that people don't want them. If I wanted a repeater, it would be a plinking gun, so that is why I have a Drulov Eagle 5 shot semi-automatic that runs on CO2 and shoots as fast as the trigger is pressed. If I want a target gun for HFT then I have a HW77, a magazine on that would just be a pain in the neck.

Mag loading springers have been around since the 1930s, they never catch on with shooters and they seem to be associated with firms who are on the down making a unique selling point that nobody wants.

Springers dont really work well as Magazine repeaters because the power plant is behind the mag making for a really long transfer of the air to the pellet also (as already pointed out ) you can cycle the bolt/ cocking lever of a pneumatic easily at the shoulder But cant work any kind of barrel/lever !!
    only repeating spring gun that I can do that with is my Anshutz 275 and although fun to shoot Hasnt got the power for anything only Plinking

Why are the theoben SLRs so sought after and expensive if the argument is that the concept doesn’t work?

Why are the theoben SLRs so sought after and expensive if the argument is that the concept doesn’t work?
    Because they are rare I know someone that has Two

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    I had a BSA Goldstar that was certainly not a gimmick.
    Quite a hefty thing though,from what I remember

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I've shot the gamo maxxim and I thought it pretty horrible - trigger not great and harsh shot cycle. Having said that the multishot function performed flawlessly...
    good to see they managed to get something right.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Quite a hefty thing though,from what I remember
    shoulder any of my goldstars, then shoulder my park rh93. i bet you would not want to carry the park around all day the goldstar is not that heavy really. lighter than a hw97 thats for sure!

[QUOTE=WILBA;7633303the goldstar is not that heavy really. lighter than a hw97 thats for sure![/QUOTE]

And much easier to cock.

And much easier to cock.
    i don't find the park that hard to cock to be honest. but yes the goldstar is very easy.

Going to be selling a couple of the old BSA Goldstars in a few weeks on here If their you thing, keep you eye out ! I love them ! just got a few too many lol

Quote Originally Posted by hellsquad View Post
    Going to be selling a couple of the old BSA Goldstars in a few weeks on here If their you thing, keep you eye out ! I love them ! just got a few too many lol
    Any of them .177 cals?